Wedding Reception Forum

Altar

Ok, so I was thinking about what I am going to do for our altar and I am lost. We were originally going to get married in a church and have it under a huppah that someone was going to make and set up for us. But now we have decided to change our wedding reception to a country club and we are getting married outside. The person that was going to do the huppah for us does not want to set it up outside so we have to think of something different. The country club is on a lake. We were thinking about getting married in front of a big Magnolia tree with the guests facing the lake. Plus the magnolia tree will be in full bloom. I was wondering if we should even bother with having some form of an arch or just leave it plan and stand in front of the blooming magnolia tree. What do you ladies think?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Altar

• I think if there's a natural element that could work as an "altar", why change it? However, if there wouldn't be anything physical to serve as an altar, you can find a lot of great ideas on how to make your own. One of my faves that I've seen was where the couple used different sizes of wooden frames and put colorful fabric in them. http://community.theknot.com/cs/ks/blogs/wedding_style_file/archive/2009/10/12/wedding-ceremony-ideas-diy-altars.aspxGood luck!
  • I think you could go either way and be fine. If you want to keep it simple, then you certainly can't go wrong with the natural setting and beauty of a magnolia tree in full bloom. Add a bride and groom in their wedding attire, and it makes a beautiful, and naturally elegant picture. But with weddings, it's often hard to resist adding just a little something to "stage the scene" so to speak. And that's OK too. In the setting you described, I'd suggest you keep it simple, and natural. The white metal wedding arches you find in most craft stores, can look .... well, I wouldn't say tacky, just kind of dated, or too frou-frou. A natural wooden arbor or trellis, with only a touch of natural adornment would kind of "frame" the altar area. Some sheer material draped on it, or some simple green vines, maybe a few of those magnolia blooms might help tie in the natural elements to the altar area. Or you could put a table with a simple cloth over it, for some flowers or potted plants might look nice. But you really don't need much in the way of frou-frou.
  • I think having the blooming tree as the focal point, with guests facing the lake, would be beautiful all on its own. I personally would not bother with an arch or table.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards