Military Brides
Options

Just a little rant, I suppose.

So, the Fi and I get married this Saturday. He just got his orders, and his next duty station is in Korea. Great, right? It's pretty tough trying to be sooo super happy about a wedding less then 24 hours away, when I know shortly after I take him as mine, he's gone. I knew this was a possibility, but it sucks. I feel like my wedding has been put on the back burner now that everyones all upset about his next station. Bleh. :(

Re: Just a little rant, I suppose.

• Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.  Can you just ask EVERYONE involved to can the discussion til after the wedding?  That isnt' asking too much, this is a one time shot for you both, and Korea will still be there in a few days.  Your wedding won't.  good luck.
  • Options
    kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh no! That sucks. I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how bummed out you are.Just try and keep your head up. Enjoy your wedding day and just try and have fun.Just remind yourself you know this about being a military wife--- a lot of women can't handle that kind of thing, and you can.I've always been told being a Marine wife is the toughest job in the Corps...:( Don't let it ruin your day!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    heathxoxgqheathxoxgq member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally agree. Being ANY kind of active military wife is the hardest job there is! I plan on it...the morning of... which is less then 48 hours away.... telling everyone if they mention the word Korea they won't like the consequences. Lol. :P Hopefully everyone understands that it's just not what I want to discuss on what's supposed to be "The Happiest Day of my Life". It really sucks because 1/2 of the people coming to our wedding are from his base where he's stationed now. It's bound to be brought up. I don't want them to hate me for not being around them, but, when that whole "Man, Koreas coming fast" talk comes up at the reception I think it'd be better for me to not be there lol
  • Options
    kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah..and maybe talk to him about it too. Have him tell the guys that its not the time or place for it. You don't want to be reminded of the sad goodbye coming up on, as you said, the happiest day of your life. It's not really fair, is it?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok.. I have a really dumb question.. I promise I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, I'm genuinely curious.Can you not go to Korea with him? After you guys are married, wouldn't you be able to get on his orders to go?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Korea is considered a hardship tour now... although I have known of some wives who have gone over for 6 months at a time and rented a local place to stay. Not sure if that's an option though anymore with all the Korea drama going on.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, families pretty much aren't allowed to go to Korea with a soldier now a days. Just like the last response said..sometimes families get away with it by doing that, but, it really isn't the best thing. Plus, we have a two year old. It's not a good place for him to be for a substantial amount of time. :/
  • Options
    bintmejnunabintmejnuna member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good thing about going to Korea, is that since it is a hardship tour, generally he should be allowed to go anywhere he wants for his next tour.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That, I did not know! Thanks for that, at least that cheers me up just a tiny bit! :D Thanks ladies <3.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ahh OK. Thank you for the clarification. I felt really snarky asking, I promise I wasn't trying to come off that way. However, with all the drama, I do see how families would not be allowed to go to Korea. Its probably the best for your little one as well. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    aww well good luck tomorrow! you will get to be with your new family in a little bit, otherwise they have to pay you separtations. lol which the military doesn't like to do!
  • Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    According to FI it's really common for GIs assigned to Korea get to home for a fairly substantial amount of time at the 6-month mark. Also, he's known some people who move their wife to Japan so they can visit more frequently, since Japan is a safer and somewhat easier place to be than Korea. And he would be able to take leave about once per month to come visit you in Japan. Not sure if this is an option for you, but he was reading over my shoulder and piped in!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Korea will not be a difficult tour, it's just unaccompanied for you guys, and if you're really afraid of the 'drama', a fair amount of the the DPRK weapons are aimed right at Japan, so I don't know how much safer that would be. Well, except that Japan is perfectly safe because South Korea is perfectly safe. Being afraid for YH in ROK is like worrying about the swine flu. Could he get sick? Theoretically. Will he get sick? No. Is it overreacting to worry? Yes.Enjoy your wedding and relax. Oh, and about your wedding getting put on the back burner? Welcome to the military life, where things you want will always get put on back burner.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    kchat393kchat393 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of Korea being called a hardship tour...just unaccompanied. But it's beginning to be more and more of an accompanied tour. Osan, especially. And I have definitely never heard of anyone moving their family to Japan while they're in Korea. At any rate, I hope your wedding was absolutely gorgeous! And don't worry, his tour will be over before you know it!
  • Options
    loveandligninloveandlignin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had no idea about Korea being a hardship tour now! I had a friend in nursing school who got married to a soldier while he was on leave and the plans were for her to join him in Korea after graduation but his orders were changed around at the last second. So now they haven't seen each other for a year and a half and he won't be home until next July. Don't you just love little military surprises like that? Ugh. On a happier note, she did tell me that she LOVED visiting him over there! My mom always said that she felt blessed to be an Army wife because civilians will never be able to feel that huge surge of joy when we see our men come home. Tell your FI and friends/family that only wedding talk is allowed for now! :) I'm sorry, I know it's tough, but just think about your wedding and how exciting it is (I think it's already happened by now-- if so, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm So sorry to hear! Deployments are tough no doubt. There is some positive in all of it though. Atleast he is going somewhere relatively safe and you will be able to sleep at night knowing he is ok. As crazy as it sounds, it will fly by. Ive been through 2 deployments so far. 1 to Iraq and 1 to Afghanistan.  Both seemed like they would take forever but before I knew it, it was already 7mo in and time for R&R! It really does go by fast. Just take one thing at a time.I'm sure you were stunning on your big day and everyone was happy just to be able to share it with you and your new hubby! Congrats!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards