Michigan-Lansing
Options

Warning...complaining ahead

Hey, so I just have to complain a little bit. I live in Royal Oak (near Detroit) and it has been hard to plan a wedding in Lansing while I live here. I have already taken time off work, and I still feel like I need to drive to Lansing every week for something. Ahhhh I'm sick of driving and being there every weekend with a "to-do" list. On top of that, most photographers and dj's can't meet on the weekends, because they are doing other events (totally understandable) so I'm forced to go through the week.Anyone else planning their wedding from afar???

Re: Warning...complaining ahead

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am doing the same thing. I completely understand. I have done a lot of research online and made a bunch of phone calls. Just to share I am getting my flowers and cake from http://www.sweetcakecompany.com there are insane packages . And for my photographer I am using http://www.sarahlugo.com I met her at a bridal show and thought she was so sweet and her work is awesome.
  • Options
    lvasilenlvasilen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I am planning from TX....so I agree it is challenging but hey at least you can drive!! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    haha good point, at least I can drive :). I do already have a cake, but I have heard of the sweet cake company. I wondered if they were good. I'm having a friend of a friend do my cake. She was the cheapest I've found at $2.00/slice. Thanks for the photog info though, I'll definitely check her out!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I understand completely Im planning my Lansing area wedding from central IL-6 hrs away. My advice is you can do a lot online, make a bunch of appointments for one day. So you can get more done when you are back. Make sure photographers bring their hardcopies that is what you want to see and everything else you should be able to see from websites. I am using http://saborah.redreduction.com/ since they do great outdoor pictures- and did a friends wedding, you can see how much they do from looking at their website and get all thier pricing. They e-mailed me the contract and I can mail it back with deposit. Same with caterers they will give you quotes and you can see their menu from their websites. Havent figured out DJ's but we will probably use someone who is recommened and flexible. Ask around and check the blogs :-)Hope that helps. The internet is great for planning, and when you have to go into town set as many appointments up back to back :-)
  • Options
    T&A430T&A430 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm the opposite - I'm in Lansing and I'm planning my wedding in metro-detroit area. It's frustrating sometimes because a lot of vendors don't understand what a pain it is to drive out there and refuse to offer their pricing online, through email or over the phone. Why drive to meet a vendor that will ultimately tell me that he/she is out of my price range anyway? Seems like a waste of time and money if you ask me. Here's what helps me: I explain to the vendor what my situation is (that I live far away and getting out there to see them is not a good option for me), if they won't compromise, I won't use them. I do a lot of research before I even contact them and only once I've narrowed it down to one or two vendors do I go visit and I schedule every appointment one right after another so it takes one day versus two or three. That is an exhausting day, but I do get to rest up afterwards. Some vendors are willing to travel - I meet with local ones that are willing to go to my venue at little to no charge and see if I like them. That's how I found my photographer and couldn't be happier as we have been able to do two engagement sessions locally. Not only do we have the wonderful pictures that we can use for our guestbook, we're also developing a great working relationship with our photographer. Good luck and don't worry - once you get your vendors booked it all falls together much more easily.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards