DC
Options

Fake Cake?

I want to ask whoever makes my cake to make a bottom tier real, so we are able to do the cake cutting and MAYBE a top tier to save, but have the other tiers fake. (ie. made out of styrofoam covered in icing) My idea is to have a costco sheet cake in the back ready cut up for my guests. (tastes better, in my opinion, and is a lot cheaper) Do cake places normally do this? Or would they look at me like I'm a crazy person/cheapskate?

Re: Fake Cake?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think they do, but I also have heard you don't considerably save that much money by doing this....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They do, but you actually don't save any money. Most of the $$$ comes from the actual decorating, so you might as well get the other two tiers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well if that's the case...and I'm going to spend the money anyway...then I want really good tasting wedding cake. I've been to a few weddings this past year and the cakes tasted awful. :( Any suggestions for GREAT tasting cakes?
  • Options
    lareddinglaredding member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our friend just did this and it costs more then a real cake. Nobody thought they were cheap about it but they had another type of desert and a lot of people kept asking where the cake was.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would make a tasting appointment with Lara at Fluffy Thoughts (http://www.fluffythoughts.com/) She is such a doll and the cakes are wonderful! The tasting is, as per usual, free.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love Lara at Fluffy Thoughts, but used her for my grooms cake because I think that is the kind of cake she does best. For the wedding cake we went with Elizabeth at Uppercrust. Check my vendor reviews for contact info. GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd have to disagree- with some of it :) hehe! My FI and I are doing an entire fake cake except one small piece that is real- its marked appropriatley of course! =] Neither my FI or myself like cake, we LOVEEE cheesecake, so we are getting cheesecake factory cakes and having the hotel cut them to serve the guests in the back. We found a woman who can make an entire foam fake cake PURELY for pictures and for the guests- and it will look real b/c the small piece will be towards us and will be marked...but then theyll take it away and bring out cheesecakes :) diff peices for everyone! =] We saved about a little more than a thousand $. We are having a four tier stryofoam cake- the woman told us that a REAL cake exactly how she is doing it- would have been about $2000- but we are only spending $300 for the cake! Def. saved a ton!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    jenncoyle05 that's what I was thinking...who did you use to make your fake cake?
  • Options
    spuliaficospuliafico member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $2000 for CAKE?! That cake bette rhave been mixed by Jesus if someone would pay that much! lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry, WHAT??? That is so expensive for a cake! My cake was $700 and I thought that was expensive. Dude, you can get glorious cakes for btwn $400 - $800. Wowsers.And if you only had a small portion of it real,then that is very different from having the huge bottom layer and the top tier be real. Anyway, glad it worked out for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards