North Carolina
Options

Marriage License Question

I think this has been answered on here before, but I can't find it.Can you file your marriage license in a different county than the one you got it in?  (We live in Wake County and will be getting married in Catawba County) TIA!

Re: Marriage License Question

• Options
    grace_ugagrace_uga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes - they apply statewide.. maybe someone else can second that for me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can definitely APPLY for your license in any county, and get married in any other county. As far as actually FILING it, that is usually taken care of by the officiant, and whether they file it in the county it was applied for, or the county you were married in, I'm not actually sure. I hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The license has to be filed in the county where it was applied for. Your officiant will file it, which means they just mail it to the Register of Deeds in that county. Cabarrus county even gave us an envelope with their address already on it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Like PP said, you can apply for the license in a specific county and then get married anywhere else in NC. The officiant will then mail the license back to the original county where the license was applied for. We received a pre-addressed envelope here in Wake Co. when we applied for ours.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yup. We got our marriage license in Cabarrus county, got married in Mecklenburg county, and our officiant will mail it off to Cabarrus (I second PP, the ROD put their address right on the envelope).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!  Our officiant wasn't sure about that (he's in a small town so he pretty much never encounters this situation).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards