Jewish Weddings

Is anyone in a havurah group?

Our rabbi suggested we join a havurah comprised of several couples of similar age where one partner either converted or is not Jewish but will raise Jewish children/have a Jewish home. It sounds like something that could be very positive for us since we don't know many Jewish couples and the study would be very interesting. I've read about long-term relationships that form from havurahs, where couples meet for 20+ years. However, I'm not sure if meeting with new parents and/or expectant couples is the best thing for me now. If you are a part of a havurah, what is your experience. TIA.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is anyone in a havurah group?

• edited December 2011
    DH and I were part of one where we used to live. It was for young couples in committed relationships (either married or at least living together) and we had some really great gatherings. After about a year and a half it kind of fell apart because we were all in different stages of life (some were having kids,some weren't, people moved away, etc.). We just went to a friend's baby's bris whose parents (i.e., the baby's grandparents) have been part of a havurah for thirty years and the relationships in that havurah are incredible. My personal opinion about your potential havurah is that you should try it out and see how the fit is for you. There will most likely be some really valuable relationships built around shared experiences of intermarrying or conversion. If being around expectant couples or young babies is too tough, you can always politely decline remaining involved. Worst case scenario, you may meet one couple that you may like to get together with in the future.
  • ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were in one for about 16 months with some of my older temple friends-- but then it got to the point where we were able to attend less and less events because we started having more plans with friends closer to our age.We did enjoy it, though. :)
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think it sounds like a great opportunity! They just took surveys at our shul, so I'm hoping to get involved in one too!
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards