Wedding Reception Forum

Desperately need reception help!

My FI and I are getting married Nov 28th in Las Vegas...All of our close family will be flying down with us (We live in North Idaho) We're going to do an in-suite reception for all of our guests (about 20).  When we return to ID after our honeymoon, we want to have another reception for the rest of our friends and family that couldn't make it to the wedding(40-50 ppl).  We will be renting the club house at the country club  where my parents live for the evening.  My qustioin is...what do we do for activities?  My fiance and I are not big dancers and we will have already had our first dance(s) in Vegas.  We are also not planning on having dinner (more of a large assortment of finger foods and deserts)  Is this acceptable?  Or really weird?  Thanks All!

Re: Desperately need reception help!

• We're doing an in-suite reception in Vegas, then an at-home reception here in California.  We're actually saving our first dance for the AHR, and we might end up doing a bouquet and/or garter toss as well.  We're not terribly traditional, but I want to bring in some of the more traditional elements for the AHR so it feels like part of the wedding.The Destination Weddings board might be another good place to post about this, I'm sure lots of brides there have had AHRs.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • You don't need other activities. Just provide some background music (either hire a band or a DJ, or just run an iTunes playlist or some mix CDs) and serve the finger foods and desserts and you will be fine. When you invite people, just be sure that they know it's a Cocktail Reception, or a finger foods-style reception, so that they won't be expecting dinner (that way, they can eat something beforehand or they can make plans to eat afterward if necessary). And be sure to have enough seats for everyone, because if you skimp on chairs then people won't want to stand and eat ... they'll probably duck out early. Those who are lucky enough to grab a seat when they get there probably won't budge all night for fear of losing the seat.
  • Oh!  Thank you both so much!  I am really glad that others are/ have done the same thing!  I was a bit nervous that we wouldn't have enough to do to fill the time, but I feel better now:)
  • Not serving dinner at your 2nd reception in perfectly acceptable. Just make sure you inform your guests before they arrive. If you want to have a 2nd first dance - go for it. The guest who are ony attending your reception in ID haven't seen the first dance, cut the cake, etc.
  • Maybe you can have a slide show/set up of some pro-pics from the ceremony?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards