Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

garter tradition?

I have a bit of a concern myself...... with the garter... i always thought it'd be cute when i attended weddings growing up.... we haven't discussed it yet, but i am POSITIVE he will not feel comfortable taking the garter off my leg with his teeth OR hands. and in some ways, i don't know how i would like it.Everyone tells me, ON the day, you will not care, you'll be overwhelmed... other say, take it out completely....I am still throwing my bouquet of course, but is there any alternative traditions people have come up with to replace the garter? Or whats everyones take on this......

Re: garter tradition?

• Options
    I have only been to 1 wedding in the past 8 years out of about 14 that had the garter toss. I personally HATE it and am not doing it. Just keep everyone dancing and they will be happy.
  • Options
    Ditto PP. I'm not doing bouquet or garter tossing. But people who DO do garters will often have a "toss garter" like a "toss bouquet" so he doesn't have to go fishing up your sweaty leg in front of your grandmother.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    http://talk.theknot.com/boards/main_frame.aspx?page=ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=100Go to that post and read the responses. There are a lot of good ones. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    We didn't do the garter toss or bouquet toss and I really don't think anyone missed it.  If you aren't comfortable doing it, just skip it.  It's not like it's required.  You don't have to replace it with anything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Whew!  Thank goodness others feel this way.  Weddings are a lot more personalized these days so do what is comfortable for the both of you.  We are definitely not doing the garter toss either!  Just the thought of that and the stern expression on my poor dad's face...not in my super conservative Asian household!
  • Options
    I agree with all the 'don't do it's'. It's crass. We aren't doing a bouquet toss either, mainly because I am carrying a bible rather than flowers down the isle. Wouldn't be a good idea to toss a bible, might hurt someone!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards