North Carolina
Options

Creative suggestions wanted :)

Hello all! So last week or so I was asking for wine bottles to use as candle holders. I got a good amount from a fellow knottie (THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!) and am now in the process of burning candles in them to get some of the wax to already be melted on the outside of the bottle. . however, our wedding is 4 months away. Im just doing trial and error now. With that said, I'm worried that the wax will simply break off during transport to the venue. . . soo any suggestions to secure the wax to the sides of the bottles? I hope that makes sense :)TIA!! Have a great day!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Creative suggestions wanted :)

• Options
    grace_ugagrace_uga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh man - That is a tough one - I would just say bubble wrap like crazy and hope it sticks.
  • Options
    CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oops, I totally never checked that thread where I replied and offered you some of mine! So sorry!I would maybe put them each in those wine bags you get when you buy wine at the grocery store (or alcohol at the ABC Store) and also get some of those wine cases (boxes with the spaces in them for wine bottles) to keep the wine bottles from knocking into each other.I think you could go to any grocery/ABC store and get both the bags and the old bottle boxes for free.
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Yeah. .the bubble wrap and boxes will probably be the easiest route. I was just wondering if there was something I could spray on them to make it stay. . prefferably 'Non Flammable' Hah! Thanks for the suggestions! :)
  • Options
    CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm... I don't know if glue is flammable but isn't there that stuff you spray on "decoupage" or whatever that's called? I bet if you asked at Michael's or AC Moore they might know.
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm I'm not really sure as most of the time the goal is to keep wax from sticking instead of encouraging it to stick lol.  I've used wine bottles as candle holders in the past and you are exactly right, if it gets bumped the wax will very easily break off.  Bubble wrap sounds like the best preventative method for shipping but let us know if you find a better solution :)
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually think wrapping them in anything will make it more likely to break off. I'd put your bottles spaced out in a box and then pour styrofoam peanuts around the bottles to secure them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure either. I was thinking spraying before you drip wax with hairspray or something, but that would be problematic with nearby flame later on. And I agree, wrapping in anything might very easily bump it off. Best bet is to pack spaciously. Is there a way to transport these separately and very carefully? And your very best bet is to just try your best and go ahead and set yourself up to NOT be disappointed if it falls off - it will look cool with wax there, but people will find them just as unique if the wax isn't there. I CAN'T WAIT to see how they turn out! :)
  • Options
    LBM7189LBM7189 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They make special candles that are for the purpose of dripping and staying on the bottles. I have seen them at like Hobby Lobby in the past, but I dont know what they are called. Dripping candles maybe? Maybe if you Google you can find what I am talking about. They are different colors (like silver, gold, red, etc.) and I remember them being popular a few years ago. Maybe pick up a wine case box from the grocery store or something and just sit the bottles down in it for transport. I wouldn't think wrapping them would help. Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your suggestions :) I'll be heading to Michaels this weekend and see if they know anything about the dripping candles. . .I did a test run today and got one of the bottles to look REALLY awesome. . and then when I got home from work, my FI decided to pick up the bottle. . by the neck. . .and broke it all off. . . FAIL. . . He felt super bad about it and was trying to re-melt the melted wax back onto the bottle. . I wish I had taken a picture of it.:)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Beka - my FI (back when he was just my BF lol) liked the look of the dripping wax candles so we have a couple boxes laying around the house.  I keep meaning to take them back to Michael's since we never use them but if you want them you can have them! 
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you dont want them, I'll certainly put them to use ! Shoot me an email at ncsupsych at gmail dot com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards