New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Teeth whitening!?!

I want to whiten my teeth before the wedding. I don't want to get sensitive teeth. That"s what I heard that the tray whiteners at the dentist office is known for, making sensitive teeth. Any recommendations?

Re: Teeth whitening!?!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a little bit of an obsession with having white teeth. :)
    My dad is a dental technician, and in the past he made me bleaching trays. My teeth were super white, but they were VERY sensitive. I recently began using the Advanced Crest White strips. I'm not seeing the results as quickly, but I also don't have the same sensitivity, so I'm happy with that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am super obsessed with whitening my teeth and have had sensitivity due to the whitening strips.  So I started using sensodyne toothpaste and have cut back on how often I use the strips.  So I'll do them every other day instead of everyday.  Although, I have the time to do that, you may not.  There are sensitive options for those strips, but I found that the sensodyne toothpaste helped.  They also have the crest 3d mouthwash, feels weird, but also feels like its working.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    bridaljoybridaljoy member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had zoom whitening procedure at the dentist.  My teeth were sensitive for the first few days after the procedure but it went away. I was extremely happy with the results, for me the results were better than the white strips.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_teeth-whitening-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:01df33d8-a368-42f6-b077-8f38f742b83ePost:db834f78-510d-4c77-aef8-49d58aa94331">Re: Teeth whitening!?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am super obsessed with whitening my teeth and have had sensitivity due to the whitening strips.  So I started using sensodyne toothpaste and have cut back on how often I use the strips. <strong> So I'll do them every other day instead of everyday.  </strong>Although, I have the time to do that, you may not.  There are sensitive options for those strips, but I found that the sensodyne toothpaste helped.  They also have the crest 3d mouthwash, feels weird, but also feels like its working.  
    Posted by ayip24[/QUOTE]

Any teeth whitening product will cause sensitivity if used that often. Even every other day is probably too much.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've used the professional whitening trays from the dentist, and my teeth weren't that bad, as far as being sensitive. I didn't see great results. Then I switched to Crest Whitening strips. There is a 2 hour one. My friend used it, and her teeth were SUPER white!! But, again, I didn't see great results. My teeth were extremely sensitive from these strips. I went to the dentist, and he told me to use sensodyne toothpaste, and also rinse with a fluoride rinse. It helped. With beauty, there is pain!!!
    December 2011 siggy challenge- Furbabies Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My dentist said that it's actually not worth it to get your teeth whitened in an office. The at home kits (especially the Crest Whitening strips) work just as well and are much cheaper. I already have sensitive teeth and it didn't make them worse when I used them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    wldktz10.. you probably had pretty white teeth to start.. in that case, yeah.. you'd probably get the same results from an at home kit as you would in the dental office.  BUT..If you want to get more than a shade or two lighter though and it's for a special event, I would definitely do an in-office treatment instead.  At home products rely on proper application for an even result.. plus, if you have any tooth colored fillings in the front, you should be warned that it may no longer match your tooth color.  I have many patients who dont know where their fillings are and may not be aware of this unless told by a dental professional.   I am a Dental Hygienist.  AND..there are a lot of deals through various penny savers.. coupon books.. groupons right now for in office whitening of various brands.  It's the most reliable option!  I would just also go with a sensitivity toothpaste and fluoride rinse.. and I wouldn't do it TOO close to your wedding so you dont have to worry about the sensitivity on your special day... then just avoid red wine, any kind of berry juices, grape juice, kool aids, dark colored sodas, coffee, and tea for the couple of weeks in between the bleaching and your wedding!  :):)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards