New Jersey

John Bell Leaving z100

Sounds like he got canned this morning.....thoughts?
1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy

Re: John Bell Leaving z100

• kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He got canned? He's been there forever.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    What was the reason? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I havent heard Z100 in about a week because I've been playing CD's on my wau to work. Some things they talk about are just stupid, nonsense (IMHO)and  I cant stand Carolina.
    John Bell was one of my favorites (and Danielle). If it's true, then it's a shame he' s leaving
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think they're forcing him to retire. He had said if it was up to him he would never retire, but this isn't his choice. It was a very sad speech he gave. He said he's been there for 27 years. I can't believe they would do that, he's great,
    *~allie~*

• Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I didn't listen this morning but was curious what happened... This is sad, I liked him.

• VanessaB24VanessaB24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow... i didnt hear his reason, but thats messed up... its won't be the same
  • edited December 2011
    Prob trying to mix things up to increase ratings.

I remember after they canned Christine Nagy a few yrs back, they brought in Carolina to increase the number of latin listeners.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Denise91980Denise91980 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    He's been there a long time and probably makes a lot of money....They are probably trying to save some money on payroll...Its a shame though because he's been a part of that show for soo long. My father was forced into retirement after working for IBM for over 40 years....Its sad what they do to people.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_john-bell-leaving-z100?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:8ac87717-2482-49bf-ab81-a53bf7290905Post:5c7aba78-0dde-4074-9ce5-03230dcf7bd1">Re: John Bell Leaving z100</a>:
    [QUOTE]I remember after they canned Christine Nagy a few yrs back, they brought in Carolina to increase the number of latin listeners.
    Posted by USER876[/QUOTE]
    Are you serious? Carolina is the reason I stopped listening to z100.
  • edited December 2011
    People are going to be sad.  I'm from Staten Island and grew up listening to him! Every time I drive back to NY I'm so happy to turn on Z100 and here John Bell, Elvis Duran and the rest of the crew. They have a station like Z100 here in Boston except the hosts SUCK and I can NOT listen to it.  
    If they're forcing John Bell to retire, what about Elvis? I mean he's been there FOREVERRR
  • DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I liked John Bell... he was one of the few people I liked on there.  Carolina and Danielle are annoying! 
    I caught the last 5 mins or so of his speech this morning and also got the vibe that he was being pushed out.  For a 70+ year old, he was pretty hip and able to hold his own with everyone else on that show.  Very sad. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Elvis is too well liked, it would create an uproar.  He does a good job, but he is getting older too.

I've noticed John Bell's part on the show getting less and less, he contributes to the conversations, but depending on the target audience they are marketing, maybe they don't feel a 70 yr old + guy is the best one in that slot.  Who knows....

I don't buy the money thing, any new young hot shot they replace him with is not gonna be cheap (salary compression,etc).  If it is money, they won't replace him.....we shall see.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • edited December 2011
    I heard them talking about it  this morning but didn't hear the reason. I thought he was leaving on his own, I didn't realize that he is being forced to leave..that's so sad. He was the voice of reason and had experiences so much in his life it was great to hear his wise thoughts.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • edited December 2011
    I think we are all speculating that he was forced to leave, but it seems to be the consensus.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It was time for him to leave, kind of like the teachers that are hanging on, give the college graduates without jobs a break!  I liked Christine too, she is on 106.7 in the AM, she's good.  Carolina is annoying, really they all are, I guess when you get to a certain age you just change.
  • kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I interned at Z100 in college and John Bell was super nice. I really doubt it has to do with his salary.  These people make less money than you would think.

A few years after college I replied to something John Bell posted on myspace.  He definitely didn't remember (I was a lowly intern) but he engaged in a back and forth conversation with me on some debatable topic.  I was really shocked that he took the time to respond and talk to his listeners.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe he'll go to satellite like everyone else.  I haven't listened to regular radio in over four years.
  • edited December 2011
    oh no! that acutally bums me out. I go into work at 7am, and they said that had some announcement around that time and I missed it. I'm assuming that's what it was. He's going to be missed. Even for him being in his 70s, he was very openminded, non really too old-fashioned and always had a smart opinion to interject into convos.
  • edited December 2011
    I feel like that show gets more and more riduclous. There people I like (Danielle, TJ, sometimes Carolina) and people I can't stand (Skeery; stupid Greg T, who annoys the crap outta me...)

I'll flip it on, but usually don't last more than a few minutes. Every so often they have a really interesting conversation, but I feel like those moments are increasingly rare.   So I wind up listening to a lot of ipod and NPR in the morning ;-)
  • melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's sad. Whenever I'm back in NJ I get excited to listen to z100, lol. It's sort of a running joke that I'm obsessed with z100. But I think it's just that I don't really drive out here so I don't listen to the radio except when I'm in NJ.
  • edited December 2011
    I heard part of his speech this morning, but totally missed the reason or the fact that it sounded like he might have been pushed out cause I wasn't paying attention. I was once dancing in a show that he mentioned on his community bulletin board and he then came to see it. He was so friendly and I was super impressed that he mentioned my show on the air and then actually went to see what he mentioned. Really nice guy.
    image Tuffy
    RIP Little Man October 15, 1995 - June 1, 2010
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, Greg T was funny 10 yrs ago when he was the "frat boy."  He is too old to be pulling stunts like that anymore, they just are not as funny.

Every station went through changes though, remember when KTU swaped it up and had RUPAL in the morning?  Then I think woopie was on, and that didn't last too long either.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • her982her982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had no idea he was black...obvi it doesn't matter, just interesting that is not how I pictured him. 

I love TJ, could do without the rest.

This thread made me smile; I was secretly ashamed that I listened to this show but now knowing all of you do too it makes me not feel so bad!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards