California-Orange County

Showers

I have a weird issue and I don't know if anyone has this problem. My family and my friends both want to throw me a wedding shower and the idea is hard for me. I hate feeling like I am asking people to buy me presents. I know it's a tradition and when I get invited to showers I feel privledged and love shopping for gifts so I'm not opposed to showers. I just feel weird basically asking for gifts but I also don't want to miss out on hanging out with these people for a day that is for me. I considered putting "no gifts please" on the invites but that seemed weird too and to be honest I could really use the presents because I will have a new house with nothing to fill it. I know that was a long, confusing post but I just wondered if anyone else felt this way and how you overcome this.

Re: Showers

• edited December 2011
    I think it is very normal to have some sort of a shower.  Are you having a bridal shower too?  Some couples do a wedding shower toghether as opposed to a bridal shower for the girl only.  However, I think bridal showers (women only) is more fun because they guys are never really into it. So to answer your question, yes, you should have some sort of a shower--wedding or bridal.  Yes, you should get gifts.  Don't feel bad about getting gifts because traditionally if a guest already gave a gift at a shower they are not obligated to give another for the wedding; however, most people do end up giving two gifts.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In my experience the bride or bride and groom aren't the ones who are supposed to throw the shower. If your family and friends want you to throw one, they should throw it in your honor. Usually it's the maid of honor and bridesmaids, but anyone can do it. That way you aren't asking for presents since it's a party in your honor, not one thrown by you for you.
  • jaejaeveejaejaevee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should definitely let people throw you a shower (with gifts) if they want to.  I think it's awkward for most of us to be the center of attention like that, but just think of it as practice for your wedding day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards