Ohio-Northeast
Options

Married Ladies- Name Change

When you went to change you name, did you need to go to the SS office first or the DMV first? I've been told both ways and i'm not sure which is correct.Also, did you find it cost you alot of money to change you name. Obviously you have to pay for a new drivers liscense but were there any other places that charged you? I ask because money is really tight and if it's going to cost to much, i'll have to wait to change my name.TIA!

Re: Married Ladies- Name Change

• Options
    JoeyOzJoeyOz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't changed my name yet (getting married in 2 weeks!) but I had to go get a new drivers license just a week ago when I had my birthday. While I was there I asked the lady at the DMV and she said I would need the new SS card in order to get a new license. So SS office first. I'm in Summit County, but wouldn't think it would make a difference.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my SS card first, but when I went to get my new DL, they didn't even need to see my ss card. You need to take your marriage certificate for both though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my DL done already, but have not yet done my SSC, so you can do either first.  When I did my DL they asked for my current DL and the marriage license.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    To answer your second question, the only thing I had to pay for was the driver's license fee.
  • Options
    starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I chose to get my SS card done first in the event that it would be needed to change my name elsewhere.  Although I believe it was the easiest way to do things, it certainly did not have to be done this way.  When I went to the BMV, they did not ask to see my SS card, they simply needed my old DL and the marriage certificate.  You will also need the marriage certificate when you go to the SS office (as well a form, which can be filled out prior and can be found on the SS website, or can be filled out at the office).Also, it didn't cost me much at all to change my name.  The only place that had a cost associated with it was the BMV, and that was just the cost of a replacement license.  Actually, I paid just a little more so that I wouldn't have to replace it again next year when I turn 25.  I was NOT charged by the SS office, banks, credit card companies, etc.  HTH!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I sent in my SS card right away and they were really quick - I went to the BMV afterwards but I didn't have to have my SS card to get my license.  The only thing I had to pay for was the license which was like $24 I think.  I didn't have to pay anywhere else.Hope that helps!
  • Options
    JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I changed my name with the SS office first, then got my new DL. (This was Cuy. county, but it shouldn't matter.) Other than the fee for the new DL, nobody should charge you anything. (those 'kits' for sale out there are often scams.)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, if you have had your current passport for over a year, you'll have to purchase a new one of those. (If it's been under a year, I don't think there's a fee to change your name on it.)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    JoeyOzJoeyOz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Weird. I wonder why the lady at the DMV made it sound like I absolutely must have my new SS first? Either way, helpful information for me too!! Thanks!
  • Options
    juliet1503juliet1503 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was charged for the new license and also for changing the registration on my car. . . it was only a couple of bucks for the latter, though. :)
  • Options
    MusickWifeMusickWife member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I hate to confuse, but I actually went to the SS first (which was what I had read), and was told that I needed to go to the DMV FIRST because I needed another ID besides my marriage license with my new name. So I went and got then and then headed back to the SS office. Obviously, they aren't too consistent are they? LOL. Maybe give each of them a call first before you waste time? I was annoyed because I spent over 45 minutes waiting at the SS office the first time around. I honestly don't remember costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards