Virginia

Distance between ceremony and reception.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some opinions on the distance between my possible ceremony and reception sites. My dad insists that I have my ceremony at the church we go to...that's in Culpeper, VA. My fiance is a Marine, and we would both LOVE to have our reception at the National Marine Corps Museum. The only problem is that the drive would be about an hour and 10 minutes. That's not counting any traffic. Now my logic for this is that the reception site won't just be a regular reception, they get to tour the museum as well which is very interesting. What should I do? Continue planning for it there....or totally give up on the idea?

Re: Distance between ceremony and reception.

• msmoore80msmoore80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally think that over an hour drive is a little too long. About 95% of my guests are going to be from out of town and with most of them not knowing the area I might be a little worried having them drive that far. (Getting lost or stuck in traffic) But your situation might be different...everyone might know the area well and have no problem with the drive. Is there any way that your father might let you have the family minister preform the ceremony somewhere closer to the reception site? That might be a doable compromise.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree that it is a long drive, and it could get worse if there is traffic. If you have a lot of guests from Culpeper maybe you could consider providing transportation for guests to the museum and back to Culpeper?  That would definitely make it more reasonable for your guests.
  • SSM&JLMSSM&JLM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the maximum drive between 2 sites should be no more than 30 minutes.  It would be an awful lot to expect your guests to travel from Culpeper to the Marine Corps Museum, I'm assuming you mean Quantico in reality.Honestly for anything in an area such as Quantico I'm a big fan one shot deals, everything in one spot.  I would hate for Aunt Lucy and Uncle Leo visiting from upstate NY to get lost on 95 having to travel in that area.If you do decided to do that to your wedding guests, be prepared that many are going to expect you to pay for transportation for the wedding party, including family for at least their travel.
  • name1109name1109 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It does seem long. For us we went with the 'longer' drive because we absolutely love (okay I absolutely love) the reception venue. Our drive is 35-40 minutes away and with traffic it might be more......My view is that we are also paying a nice hefty sum for a good evening and you know (as selfish as this is) I really like the reception venue and it's our future, our wedding. People will travel. I think it is good to offer transportation if there is the potential for getting lost (which can be pricey)...If that is too much put up signs along the way to ensure people don't get lost (I think this is what we are going to do) and maybe offer a shuttle from the reception or taxi's on standby at the reception at the end for those who have enjoyed themselves too much. That's my two cents.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the replies! I've tried to get my dad to compromise some but it's the church that he wants especially not just the pastor....Transportation is also a good idea, the only problem is what if they want to go home before the bus is ready to take all of them. Then again, I guess they would make that decision. Anyway, thanks so much!!!
  • SSM&JLMSSM&JLM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, I just thought of this b/c of planning a friend's wedding. If you have something on post, be prepared for the parameters required for security.  Especially at Quantico where more than just marine personnel are on that post. A friend got married at the Naval Academy and had to shuttle all the guests from the stadium parking lot in buses onto post and then into the chapel.  It was quite the ordeal just to get the brides limo allowed to drive on there.  They've lifted restrictions a bit, but it's still something to think of when military installations are involved.
  • edited December 2011
    Too long of a drive. I dunno what time of day your wedding is, but if it's in the evening, that would pose additional problems. Older people don't like to drive very far in the dark, esp not in unfamiliar areas. (at least both my grandmothers are like that) Also, that'd make a long drive for people back to their hotel after the reception when they're tired, if they're staying in Culpepper. If you really want to do it this way, I'd say book rooms at a hotel kinda half way between the ceremony and reception sites, so the drive to the ceremony is half an hour and the drive after the reception is half an hour. On a more positive note, I think having your reception at the Marine Corps Museum is an awesome idea. It obviously means a lot to both of you. I'm sorry your did isn't very willing to compromise.
  • edited December 2011
    I would consider changing your reception place. It would be pretty difficult and asking a lot of your guests to travel so far.  In Culpeper I would recommend Alwyngton Manor.  They have very nice grounds.  I've also been to a reception in the old train station downtown and it was really cool - just a lot of stuff you'd have to do on your own there. If you're really stuck on the Marine Corps Museum, I would talk to your dad about how much it means to you. I'm sure he'd understand.  There's the Catholic church right inside Quantico and plenty of churches in North Stafford to choose from too. You know how NOVA traffic can be too!  The less travel distance, the better.  I'm not sure what month your wedding will be in, but in the summer traffic is usualy VERY bad on the weekends.  I'd try to avoid it altogether and stay in Culpeper.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards