Jewish Weddings

NWR: Kinda Irked

I just got home from a work meeting. I work at a retail store and they were preparing everyone for the upcoming holidays. What irked me was that their prizes for answering questions right, etc were specifically Christmas related. Also, the leaders on duty have to wear Santa hats for the next two month (luckily it's not me!).I'm not anti-Christmas or anything (I use to celebrate with a Christian now ex-boyfriend), but the fact that they chose only Christmas specific items and had no mention of any other holidays bothered me. I felt like it was assumed everyone was Christian. Am I alone on this one?

Re: NWR: Kinda Irked

• edited December 2011
    Yes, it irks me! I don't expect other holidays to be included. Chanukah, despite it's proximity to Christmas, is a very minor religious holiday. What I do expect is that people recognize that not everybody celebrates Christmas and, even those who do, don't celebrate it the same way. So, I expect gifts, for example, to be non-religious and non-affiliated. I can't tell you how many work grab bags I've walked away from with christmas tree ornaments or angel figurines......
  • edited December 2011
    It very much irks me, too. I complained to a CEO of a hospital I worked at once because they put up only Christmas decorations. People can be so insensitive.
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • edited December 2011
    Another job I had yrs ago was doing a fundraiser in which we ran on treadmills to reach the distance to the N pole. My dept wanted to dress as reindeer and santa. I told them, no I'd prefer not to participate as a reindeer...then they offered me Mrs. Claus! haha
  • lachlomlachlom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It doesn't actually bother me that they only focus on Xmas because, like someone else already said, Chanukah is a minor holiday in the scheme of things. It became 'popular' due to its proximity to Xmas and Xmas being a total consumer holiday nowadays. To not let anyone feel left out, now we make a big deal of Chanukah and Kwanza and all that.However, I'd have an issue with the santa hats and such just from a religious perspective. It's not about being anti-xmas necessarily, as I recognize it as a legitimate secular and christian holiday, but I don't really have any interest in participating in a holiday all about, in the Jewish opinion, a false messiah.Since it's such a secular holiday, I'd think they would assume you weren't necessarily christian, but celebrate xmas in some capacity because it's a secular holiday, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards