New Jersey
Options

what to do w/ a sick dog?

Our bulldog has a runny nose and she's been sleeping in her cage literally all day. I know it sounds characteristic-ly like a bulldog, but she's way lazier today and it sounds like she's stuffed up. I don't want to go to the vet bc they charge $300 for tests and don't tell me sh*t. Anyone have a home remedy or something you've used?

Re: what to do w/ a sick dog?

• Options
    kathymariekathymarie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    maybe try posting on the pets board. on a side note: I want a bulldog more than anything in the world!
    Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There's a pets board? who knew!Here's my peyton [img]http://tinyurl.com/l5zfdm[/img]
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's on the Nest..   OH> MY> GOD. I want that dog. More pics please! LOVE HER!
    Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    She's a big ham. Our photog got some shots of here when we did our e-pics. She's afraid of EVERYTHING. including the camera.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    SO CUTE! That first pic is my fave!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am dying... so cute!
    Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! She is pretty awesome :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Soo cute, she is adorable. I'm no help with the sick thing, but just had to say how freakin' cute she is.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can try paging MYE she has a bully too. BTW, I am a huge lover of them, I tell Dan all the time I want one so bad but he wants a mid sized (sound like I'm talking about cars) so I'm SOL till after we get a bigger dog lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Doggies can get the swine flu, so I'd be worried, therefore I'd be the idiot paying $300 for tests...but I'm just a worrier by nature.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image182 invited
    image4 got lost on their way to the mailbox
    image127 will witness the anticipated bear union
    image51 will miss out a beary good time
    [RSVP Date 6/01] [125 min]
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cheryl - bullys are mid sized. She's def. not small, but not big either. About 55 lbs and maybe 2 ft or a foot and a half tall. But they are a PIA too sometimes. You have to clean her face every other day and pretty much every day in the summer. And she can't reach her, um.... She can't clean herself like normal dogs, so we have to! lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea I tried telling Dan that Jaime, no go, I also had looked into all the stuff you have to do (the cleaning like you said) and he thinks its easier to groom then to clean (makes no sense but eh) We decided to try to adopt a collie type dog since I grew up with a shelty (looked like lassie but smaller) and he sees them and loves them. I think I consider bullies "smaller" because of their stature (sp) they are big dogs but such adorable small legs and big mush mush faces hehe.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    She is a mush. My mom got her for christmas for us two years ago. I came into the kitchen and they are making small talk, and then you hear this little squeeky whine out the back door. And my cousin says "Oh we left Libby outside!" Libby is a teacup shi-tzu and can't be outside without a freakin blanket - so I run to the door and there's this little mess of wrinkles ready to lick the smile clear off my face. lol. She's the best.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awe that is so cute!I just showed Dan her, and he said it looks like the bull dog version of our trouble maker cake with the coloring and half a face lol
  • Options
    DiorAndKissesDiorAndKisses member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  I have a pit, and when she gets sick, we give her chicken broth with veggies (pref. homemade without the salt...but you can do a low-sodium canned version).  She also likes chammomile tea with honey...warm, not too hot.  Just make sure it's really chammomile, b/c caffeine can be toxic to dogs.  I'm not sure if this would be good for a bulldog, as I know they're intolerant of high, humid temperatures...but when I was watching my sister's lab and he was stuffy...I sat with him in the bathroom and ran the hot water over a towel with some Vicks Vapo-Rub on it.  I just held him on my lap and let him breathe it in a bit.  Again, not too sure how your bully would take to that...I'd ask a vet.I'm sure you know this...but English bulldogs sometimes develop breathing problems because of the way they've been bred over the years.  She's absolutely adorable, and I always recommend taking sick doggies into the vet, especially if she's becoming lethargic.  I'd also recommend getting good pet insurance to cover such trips, and definitely find a vet in your area who is knowledgeable about bulldogs and their potential respiratory issues.Hope your baby feels much better soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards