• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Ohio-Cincinnati

Fake Cake?

I met with my cake person this weekend to taste her flavors! She got me a quote with 3 options:

1- Large scale to size cake based on the picture I showed her
2 - Smaller scale of picture I showed and supplemented sheet cake
3 - Fake cake with ALL sheet cake

Obviously option 3 is the cheapest option and by a substaintial amount, but I've never seen a fake cake or maybe I have but didn't realize it.

Has anyone had experience with this? Can you provide me some feedback?

Thank you!

Re: Fake Cake?

• nics21nics21 member
    10 Comments
    edited December 2011
    My sister had the bottom tier of her cake fake, no one noticed and it blended seamlessly.

I am doing option number 2, I think its a nice compromise and you can have better cake cutting pics.  But, if you don't care about that I think #3 is a great option too.
  • edited December 2011
    I've heard that you don't really save a ton of money by doing a sheet cake in the back. But if she quoted you prices- then you would know how much you are saving! And it also probably depends on the number of people as well.

I would say that nobody would notice if it were fake or real, as long as it is done well. Can you go to her shop and see an example "fake cake" to see what she is capable of?

I found a few cake places that were under $2 a slice if you wanted to find a cheaper baker as well.

Good luck in your decision!
  • Jeff SchaeferJeff Schaefer member
    10 Comments
    edited December 2011

lamar0607 is right.

In my experience the ‘fake’ cakes are indistinguishable for ‘real’ ones.

‘Fakes’ have the benefit of stability if it’s hot and humid, plus the sheet cakes may be fresher and taste better.  ‘Fake’ cakes aren’t drastically cheaper because they still need to be decorated.

Jeff

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards