Maryland-Baltimore
Options

did anyone have a wedding in baltimore the same day as the marathon???

I am getting married the same day as the Baltimore marathon in october of next year (not on purpose!!!)  I called the people in charge because I am concerned about picking a hotel for my guests that isn't right in the middle of the route- they say they won't have the finalized road closings until August or September! Any suggestions??

Re: did anyone have a wedding in baltimore the same day as the marathon???

• Options
    vjcjenn1vjcjenn1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you could see what roads were closed this year...I know things wrap up pretty early too, I think by noon everything would be open...are you worried about the ceremony or checking in
  • Options
    rechancerechance member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should consider changing the date or location of your wedding.  I am in school at Johns Hopkins and almost every street in downtown Baltimore was affected that day. There are two or three different races being run, so the event starts around 9 am but doesn't end until 3-ish.  The street closings shifted throughout the entire day, so even if the street your hotel is on is open in the morning, it could be closed in the afternoon.  Also other streets leading to your hotel closed.  Good luck!  
  • Options
    rechancerechance member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I meant to say "Also other streets leading to your hotel could be closed.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agree with rechance - It's a nightmare driving anywhere downtown on marathon day.  I don't know about changing the date (since that's kind of a PITA), but can you pick a hotel within walking distance from your ceremony so transportation is less of an issue?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A friend of my sister's got married in Baltimore the day of the marathon this year.  I know that the guests didn't have any issues getting down there since the marathon was long over by the time of the start.  She did say that her hair and makeup people were stuck in awful traffic that morning and they started getting ready late.  It turned out that everything was on time in the end, but I don't know if I would have been able to deal with that.  Any of the hotels near the Inner Harbor (and Harbor East) will be effected by the race - as will the neighboring areas.  Like PP said - check out the information from this year's race and go by those road closures, I can't imagine things changing drastically next year.
  • Options
    bethybeachbethybeach member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depends where along the route you are.  Two years ago I had to work the day of the marathon and I am over by 33rd st. they let us through it was before most of the runners came through.  I am sure you can find out the route from the previous years and have an idea of what may happen.  If you can switch the day I would if it is going to be close to the running time.  If it is at night I wouldn't worry to much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards