Illinois-Chicago
Options

Travel agents?

Are you using or did you use a travel agent to book your honeymoon? What are the pros and cons of using one? Do you have one you'd recommend (preferably in the city, north/northwest side or loop)?
imageimage
BFP on Jan. 18; EDD Oct. 1
EDD Oct. 1image

Re: Travel agents?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine recently went on her honeymoon to Costa Rica and their flight was delayed so much that they missed the connecting flight into Costa Rica. They had used a travel agent, an the agent was able to get them on a different flight and transportation to the hotel (they had to fly into a different airport than planned). So I guess a pro is that a good travel agent will be able to help you out more in the event of flight cancellations, delays, etc.
  • Options
    girlinchicagogirlinchicago member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using a TA for our "weddingmoon" to Fiji, mostly because the flights and transfers are complicated and she was also able to get us better rates on the rooms at the two resorts. If I were going somewhere in or close to the US (Mexico, Caribbean,) I might check with a couple of TAs for price comparisons because they can usually meet or beat the best price you can find, but I don't think they'd be as necessary. I have a great TA if you're interested in the South Pacific at all! Just let me know.
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using a TA for our trip to St. Lucia.  Our original flight was already cancelled and she negotiated the same price at another airlines, so I think they can be helpful... Plus, she searched for about 2 wks to find us the best package deal for the price.  I think it's worth it for piece of mind.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 115 Made the cut!
    image 90 Are ready to party and cruise Lake Michigan!
    image 21 Are party poopers and would rather be lame at home!
    image 4 Are actually really making me pissy now
  • Options
    chosen175chosen175 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're not using one for our DW because it is a place we've been to before and we know all the ins and outs. Plus, it's within the continental US so it's not as complicated. I've always used Lincoln Travel in Frankfort. Joan is great, although she was getting up there in age and I'm not sure if she's still there or not. I've had other girls help me out when Joan wasn't available and they're all great. Now that I live up near O'Hare, I still use them - they're able to work 100% via phone & USPS so there's no need to travel down to the far south burbs.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're using Verne from Unique Travel in Elmhurst.  I had a really bad experience traveling sans TA when my sister and I went to China a few years back.  We're only going to Hawaii, but we're doing a lot of different things, so it's just easier for use to lump them all into one TA.  Good luck!
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    alison at crc travel 773-525-3800 knows a lot about honeymoon stuff and is recommended a lot on the board here
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards