Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon with friends?

I'm thinking about going on a 7 day cruise for my honeymoon. We want to spent time together but also thought it might be fun to invite another couple (one of my bridesmaids and her husband) to do things with. Is this tacky? Will other bridesmaids or groomsmen be jealous? Just trying to have a great vacation...let me know what you think!

Re: Honeymoon with friends?

• I think its a cool idea. My FI and I wanted to do the same thing. Actually wanted to have my Matron of honor and her husband come along. They were thrilled that we asked, but they were not able to because of their schedules. But I honestly think its a cool idea. Its whomever you feel can be cool with the fact that the entire time you wont be hanging with them.
  • I would not say tacky. But, personally I think it's odd.  DH and I rarely take a vacation without family or friends.  But it never occured to us to taken them along on our HM.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I say keep your honeymoon just for the two of you and go with your friends some other time. Honeymoons should be a personal thing...just my opinion.
  • We had a DW wedding, so we spent most of the week afterward hanging out with the people who flew in to celebrate with us. We made sure to take some time for us, but spent a ton of time with friends and it was SO much fun. We often vacation with friends, so it didn't phase us at all.
  • I don't think it's tacky but odd as well. If I were your friend, I would feel very uncomfortable being there for my friend's honeymoon. Go alone and do a group trip later.
    TEST
  • Ditto Jamin... We have done vacations with friends and had a blast, and definitely plan on doing more vacations with family and/or friends in the future but definitely not for the HM. The HM for us is a celebration of our new marriage and a romantic time for us to just get away from it all. We have our HM set for after our wedding and then 5 months later we are taking a 5 day cruise to Bermuda with 3 other couples. That will be a blast but I'm glad it won't be our HM. Have you thought about maybe doing a trip a few months later or an anniversary trip where you invite another couple or two along?
  • we were really torn about the same thing because one of my firends is doing a DW and we really wanted to go and thought we could use that trip to Jamaica as our HM, but my family talked us out of it. SO we think we are just going on an HM and not going to the DW because we want to have some time alone.
  • if it's what you want to do then do it!

• It's definately not tacky, but it is odd.  Only you know the other WP members and can predict whether they'd be disappointed to not be invited. We spend almost every vacation we go on with friends and family.  Our HM was the one trip where we just focused on each other and didn't worry about anyone else.  While we love travelling with our friends and family, it would have been really uncomfortable to try to do anything romantic with other people around.
  • This is your Honeymoon and your special time, if you think you'll be happy doing this with your friends, Just do it, Why Not?
  • If you and the other couple wouldn't find it weird, then go for it. Just realize that most other people probably WILL think it's a bit strange, so you might end up sick of having to explain why you're doing this and wishing you'd done a trip with just the two of you. Then again, you don't have to tell the whole world that the other couple's invited - they can't criticize what they don't know about.As a BM I wouldn't feel left out about a couple traveling with another BM and her husband. That to me has nothing to do with WP and is more about two couples that enjoy each other AND travel well together (not always the same thing, so I'd be sure you guys have a similar travel style before jumping into this).
  • Well... I think it's fine if that sounds good to you! But maybe to guide people away from thinking it's odd... perhaps go away for two nights after your wedding... "we're honeymooning at such and such," and then following it up with a vacation with some friends...  That way you a.) definitely get some post wedding rest and alone time, and b.) can tell people you are "honeymooning" alone, and use "vacation" for the other part... :)
    - Melanie July 05, 2013
  • I think it is great. FI and I have a very close knit group of friends and it would not be weird at all for us. We're actually taking a few days for ourselves after the wedding and two weeks after we're going away to a cabin with almost our whole WP. We usually do this once a year with them but this year we are paying for the whole thing as their gift for being in the wedding and FI works as a chef so he is going to cook all the meals and I'm bringing spa day goodies for the girls. I came up with a lame reason for them to keep that weekend open and I can't wait to give them their gifts because I know they'll love it!
  • One of my good friends did sorta the same thing when she got married.  Her wedding ceremony was on the cruise ship before it took off to sea.  Then they took of for their honeymoon.  The bride invited her bridesmaids, their dates, and her brother and his date to come on the cruise with her and her new husband.I was a bridesmaid, but found it kind of awkward to actually go on the honeymoon with them, so I declined.  However, another bridesmaid went, and so did the bride's brother.  Since everyone always hung out together, they all had a fun trip.  I'm not sure how much alone time the bride and groom got on the cruise though.  If you're ok with more of a group vacation than a romantic honeymoon with just the two of you, it should be fun.
  • My boss and his wife recently went on their friends HM. Most of the people I work with, myself included, now are convinced they're swingers. Basically, it's odd. If you decide to do this, don't be afraid of getting strange looks.
  • We're having a DW in South Carolina. With just me my fiance and our kids. We're renting a beachouse for the 5 of us,and we're going to be there for 4 days after the wedding just hanging out with the kids. Everyone wonders when we're going to have our HM,but thats is it.Is it conventional? No, but it's what we want. And for us we have been to Paris,Jamaica, Ireland and Hawaii.And our days of travel arent over. I say go for it! I think it would be fun. Do what you want.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ha, I was just talking about this with one of mine last nite! I think it would be fun, but my FI would probably think I'm crazy. But we both have kids so we never get to go away and she never had a honeymoon! I'm all for it!
  • Fi and I had the same idea but it didn't work out b/c the other couple only has one income right now and they just couldn't afford to go.....one of the reasons that we were asking this other couple to go with us is b/c there are a few excursions that Fi really want's to do like deep sea fishing ( which really isn't my thing ) and i would hate for him to miss out on an experience just b/c of me. So our thinking was that the guys could go do there thing, us girls could just lay on the beach and relax, and when we wanted time alone just let the other couple know. And yes I did have a few people try to talk us out of taking another couple with us but in the end it's really what you and your FI want and what you are comfortable with.
  • Here's a suggestion that's a bit of a compromise... you could go for a mini moon at the location where the cruise will be leaving from by yourselves for a few days before the trip (so that you two get your alone time) and then all of you can go cruise together. And i don't think that you will have to worry about anyone else that way either.
  • I wouldn't do it. I'd want alone time and just time to be together as a married couple. But that's just me. Do what makes you happy :)
  • this is awesome!!!but i dont think ill do it... too expensive.but still i love the idea.
  • personally, i think a honeymoon is about spending time with just you and your husband to celebrate your marriage. it is a vacation to not stress over anyone else but yourselves and your own happiness. a couples vacation sounds fun but not at the honeymoon time, maybe a couples vacay would be appropriate a few months afterwards!
    save the date Visit The Knot! June 19, 2010!
  • I think it should be just the 2 of you. You're definitely going to need/ want some alone time after all that planning.
  • this is your honeymoon - it should be special and private between the 2 of you. you can always take another vacation with that couple. honestly they might feel weird about it, like they are intruding.
  • It all depends on what you'd be happiest with. If you feel that you don't need to be exclusively with your husband and that will make you happy then more power to you! Personally I think I would want more alone time, but we're a very social couple so I know that wherever we go, we'll still meet people and talk/hang out with strangers anyways. So that being said why not bring a friend along? Its not that strange when you think about it that way. Plus if the friend you're inviting isn't terribly clingy and you could still have your alone time, then I dont see anything wrong with inviting them. I would be careful about other bridesmaids getting jealous, it really depends on your girls and how close you are with all of them. If the one stands out above the rest, and you're closer to her than the rest, then fine. But if you're all basically in the same group and you only invite her, this may cause some tension. I know if I did that (only inviting one of my girls) it would probably cause some hurt feelings with the others because we've all been friends since gradeschool.
    Trust your heart, love knows the way. Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't think this is a good idea.  On your honeymoon you should spend time focusing on your new husband and your happiness together, and if you invite another couple, you'll just be focused on what stuff you're going to do together. I think you should go on your honeymoon by yourselves...you can always go on vacation with your friends another time!This is just my opinion, of course.  Do what makes you happy!!
  • Not tacky, but perhaps a bad idea.  I can imagine y ou might one day regret it.  My HM was such a special time when my husband and I were the center of one another's attention.  I treasured it.  Save the trips with friends for the future, when you can't wait for a break from your husband!  :)
    August 2012's May Siggy challenge: Favorite TV mom:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • we're going on a 9 day cruise for our honeymoon, and just coincidentaly my maid of honor is going to with her mom and aunt!! i think it will be fun because she is my best friend, and we can do the excursions together.....  there's always time for alone time at other times too :-p
  • If this is what you guys want go right ahead!  Don't worry about the other bridesmaids, choose who you think you would both have the most fun with.My best friend and her husband got back from their honeymoon saying they wished they would have gotten someone to come along with them.You'll still be able to have alone time.  Your friends will probably love some alone time too :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards