Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Steaming Gowns

I picked up my dress from Becky 2 weeks ago and my wedding is this weekend. I took the dress straight to a friends house to hang up. I will pick up the gown the morning of the wedding and take it to the venue to get dressed.

Should I purchase a steamer to get any wrinkles out? The dress is silk. If so, does anyone have any recommendations on specific steamers or tips? Thanks.

Re: Steaming Gowns

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No.  I asked Becky this (my dress was silk also) and she advised me NOT to. 

If It will hang until the wedding and you are picking it up and going straight to the venue, you won't have any need for a steamer.
  • edited December 2011
    I have a similar question.  I'm flying with my dress after alterations are finished, so I'm assuming it's going to get a little wrinkled in transit.  Should I just take it somewhere in Dallas to get it pressed once I get there?
  • dannag75dannag75 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i wouldnt! I actually used my second dress for a photoshoot we did in HI. I just let hit hang in the bathroom and the wrinkles worked themselves out. I have also heard that hanging in a hot/humid room like a garage works well.

I have heard to many horror stories with the dress getting ruined being steamed/pressed or drycleaned to take that kind of risk!
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • carmen9311carmen9311 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i have the same problem! i'm terrified that my gown will be ruined by steaming it, but my issue is that it is a sample gown and i HAVE to get it steamed and some touch up cleaning as well (esp. because there are some flowers on it and they are a bit lackluster from so many people touching them when trying on the dress) anyone have any suggestions?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Becky told me not to steam mine, and she pressed it free the week before the wedding
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards