Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Venue doesn't allow clinking glasses

Hi everyone, I found out that my venue doesn't allow clinking glasses for a kiss (i guess they've had bad experiences where glasses broke or something) which i don't mind because i'm not a fan of it. I have been thinking of doing a kissing wheel, but instead of the "consequences" where my husband and i wont be kissing, i was thinking, whatever they land on is what they have to do in order for us to kiss. Now i have come to the dillema of what to put on the wheel. I'd like to keep it clean, like no guest's kissing eachother. Any Ideas? :) Thanks in advance.

Re: Venue doesn't allow clinking glasses

• Options
    How on earth do they expect to ban that? I'm picturing someone on the staff running around snatching glasses out of people's hands.

But don't do anything else. Just ignore any clinking glasses (because people will, since they won't know that the venue doesn't 'allow' it) and they'll stop soon enough.
  • Options
    LoredLored member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    Please don't do a "kissing wheel". How about just kissing when you feel like it???
  • Options
    How on earth are they going to enforce that? Just seems so ridiculous! I would ignore this completely. 

Even if guests clink for a kiss it probably happens once or twice total. I wouldn't even worry about this, let alone spend time or money on a silly alternative.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Ditto on not understanding how they could enforce this. It's not like you are going to make an announcement, and it would be really obnoxious for one of their staff to reprimand your guests. Signs would be equally as obnoxious.

I never heard of a kissing wheel before so I Googled it. There were none with really good options, which is probably what you experienced as well before posting here. They all had "sing a song" or "make a toast," which would be so incredibly inappropriate. Aside from what you should actually put on the wheel, I have 2 questions: how would you know a guest spun and got "bride and groom kiss" without having to micromanage the thing or have people run up and interrupt your conversation? Would guests find it such a novelty that it became an interruption and PITA?

I'd omit it and just kiss when you feel like it. You don't need to replace the boring tradition of glass clinking.
  • Options
    I saw a program somewhere....maybe on offbeat bride???? It basically had this really funny wedding program and it was basically supposed to be this back and forth questionnaire:

I know!  I am going to clink my glass to make the bride and groom kiss!
    -Please don't do that, the we kind of find it annoying and we are pretty sure it isn't good for the glasses...which we rented, so don't break them. 

I think they put an alternative to clinking after that like:
    -if you want us to kiss you have to come up and sing a song to us with the word "love" in it.

But I'm betting you could leave that last part out.  
    I would be careful with this though, I thought most of the program was hilarious and a breath of fresh air, but if you aren't a "goofy, quirky" couple, it may come off kind of strange. 

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_venue-doesnt-allow-clinking-glasses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:2e06cdb0-9cd4-4560-ab6b-07cedb632095Post:a7db42a7-7873-4e81-863e-7b30fce2c233">Re: Venue doesn't allow clinking glasses</a>:
    [QUOTE]How on earth do they expect to ban that? I'm picturing someone on the staff running around snatching glasses out of people's hands. But don't do anything else. Just ignore any clinking glasses (because people will, since they won't know that the venue doesn't 'allow' it) and they'll stop soon enough.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

<div>That'd be terrible. but knowing myself, i'd probably laugh at whoever got their glass taken away because i really don't like the idea of people clinking their glasses.  Do you have any other suggestions other then the wheel?</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_venue-doesnt-allow-clinking-glasses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:2e06cdb0-9cd4-4560-ab6b-07cedb632095Post:ac9074bb-54d5-4428-9efc-eb2342e35315">Re: Venue doesn't allow clinking glasses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I saw a program somewhere....maybe on offbeat bride???? It basically had this really funny wedding program and it was basically supposed to be this back and forth questionnaire: I know!  I am going to clink my glass to make the bride and groom kiss! -Please don't do that, the we kind of find it annoying and we are pretty sure it isn't good for the glasses...which we rented, so don't break them.  I think they put an alternative to clinking after that like: -if you want us to kiss you have to come up and sing a song to us with the word "love" in it. But I'm betting you could leave that last part out.   I would be careful with this though, I thought most of the program was hilarious and a breath of fresh air, but if you aren't a "goofy, quirky" couple, it may come off kind of strange. 
    Posted by Shannon1401[/QUOTE]

<div>Well, our families are both very funny groups, so in a way, that is a good idea, but im afraid the singing could end up being worse then the clinking, haha.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_venue-doesnt-allow-clinking-glasses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:2e06cdb0-9cd4-4560-ab6b-07cedb632095Post:45049bc2-9632-4090-bdc0-6811fb255154">Re: Venue doesn't allow clinking glasses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto on not understanding how they could enforce this. It's not like you are going to make an announcement, and it would be really obnoxious for one of their staff to reprimand your guests. Signs would be equally as obnoxious. I never heard of a kissing wheel before so I Googled it. There were none with really good options, which is probably what you experienced as well before posting here. They all had "sing a song" or "make a toast," which would be so incredibly inappropriate. Aside from what you should actually put on the wheel, I have 2 questions: how would you know a guest spun and got "bride and groom kiss" without having to micromanage the thing or have people run up and interrupt your conversation? Would guests find it such a novelty that it became an interruption and PITA? I'd omit it and just kiss when you feel like it. You don't need to replace the boring tradition of glass clinking.
    Posted by AndreaJulia[/QUOTE]

<div>I like the idea of people requesting it, and now that you mention it, the wheel could be a little confusing not realizing when someone spun it. We would have to have someone watching it at all times or putting it right close to us. I was also thinking, maybe something like giving marriage advice to us in order for us to kiss. considering we are so young.</div>
  • Options
    How about kissing bells? If there's one of those next to their plates, I doubt your guests will opt for the glasses instead. So instead of telling them not to clink their glasses, you ask them to use the bell. You can even get some that double as place cards. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_venue-doesnt-allow-clinking-glasses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:2e06cdb0-9cd4-4560-ab6b-07cedb632095Post:9e5b7c60-cc64-4551-a492-1ce964d8465d">Re: Venue doesn't allow clinking glasses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue doesn't allow clinking glasses : That'd be terrible. but knowing myself, i'd probably laugh at whoever got their glass taken away because i really don't like the idea of people clinking their glasses. <strong> Do you have any other suggestions other then the wheel?
    </strong>Posted by izzy09032012[/QUOTE]

How about what a PP suggested and just not have anything and just kiss your husband when you feel like it.  This is what H and I did and worked very well for us.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_venue-doesnt-allow-clinking-glasses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:2e06cdb0-9cd4-4560-ab6b-07cedb632095Post:9e5b7c60-cc64-4551-a492-1ce964d8465d">Re: Venue doesn't allow clinking glasses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue doesn't allow clinking glasses : That'd be terrible. but knowing myself, i'd probably laugh at whoever got their glass taken away because i really don't like the idea of people clinking their glasses.  Do you have any other suggestions other then the wheel?
    Posted by izzy09032012[/QUOTE]

<div>The bells as PP suggested, perhaps. But why do you need to give people a way to 'make' you kiss at your own wedding reception anyway? We kissed when we bloody well felt like it, and there was no clinking or bells or anything.</div>
  • Options
    Kiss each other only when you feel like it. I hate all those things "forcing" a couple to kiss or making a big deal out of a kiss like we're in junior high. "Ooooooh, you kissed!" 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    If you think your guests are going to do it anyway, find a solution. If you think they won't do it on their own accord, skip it. And of course you'll kiss, with or without clinking - it's just a sweet tradition.

In Denmark it's a big thing... Last wedding I was at it happened about 40 times during the dinner, and there were only 25 guests! Here we clink the plates instead (clinking glasses is for the toastmaster to announce toasts), and the couple has to get up on their chairs to kiss. If people stomp their feet, the couple has to get under the table and kiss. Wedding exercise!
  • Options
    Exactly.  We are considering doing something like what I mentioned in the program, just minus the song and dance routine.  Just something mentioning not to do it.  For some strange reason people around here beat the crap out of their glasses during receptions.  We went to one wedding where the bride and groom ignored the guest and people started chanting, "kiss, kiss!" What the........???!???!! 

So if you think ^ will happen, I'd include something clever in the program, if you are opposed to the singing idea (which I don't blame you for), exclude it.  If you have crazy parents like mine who INSIST, "you must have a way to kiss at the reception, to exclude it is rude."  Uh, no it's not crazy people.  I just haven't decided if it is a hill I want to die on yet, so I'm rolling around ideas in my head.  We have a large guest list and they are all "clinkers." bleh. I thought about, to make my mom happy (and simultaneously irritate her), include something like:

"if you want us to kiss you have to sing us a song with the word 'love' in it, but if we sing a song back at you, you have to kiss!  We hope you brought a date because that could get awkward."

We are a weird couple so everyone would laugh at the program, I just don't want people to actually sing to us, so we thought this might be a way to deter them...just a thought, still rolling it around.

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

• Options
    I really want to see the enforecement on this one. LOL.

I don't really think you can just skip it all together. If people want to clink, they're going to clink. You could get little bells as PP said. They're dirt cheap.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    For those of you that suggest bells, I'm guess you've never been to a wedding with them.  When people start drinking, they start ringing. It getts annoying really fast,

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Well i don't like the idea of loud noises happening at all, I'm sure the bells would be just as annoying. I also thought of maybe having people give a peice of marriage advice in order for a kiss. funny/useful whatever they want. my fiance and i are young, so i think it would be appropriate. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_venue-doesnt-allow-clinking-glasses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:2e06cdb0-9cd4-4560-ab6b-07cedb632095Post:a8ee85dd-d576-4014-a008-d495ae660a79">Re: Venue doesn't allow clinking glasses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well i don't like the idea of loud noises happening at all, I'm sure the bells would be just as annoying. I also thought of maybe having people give a peice of marriage advice in order for a kiss. funny/useful whatever they want. my fiance and i are young, so i think it would be appropriate. 
    Posted by izzy09032012[/QUOTE]
    I'm still wondering why you feel you need to "do" anything for this at all. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I just think its weird to do anything for the couple to kiss. You should just kiss when you feel like it. What are we 12? We gave each other hand jobs when people clinked glasses. Ya know, like adults.
  • Options
    We gave each other hand jobs when people clinked glasses. Ya know, like adults.

WHOA
  • Options
    I am really trying to keep the glass clinking tradition but like it says, we aren't allowed the clinking. So all i want is to find an alternative. But i've just been told not to have an alternative at all. so please, idea's only. thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards