Canada

Lost gifts / no gifts

I'm in the process of writting my thank you cards and there are two couples who attended our wedding and from wich we either a) didn't receive a gift from; or b) the gift got lost.   I don't expect everybody to give us a gift, but it would be a shame if they actually gave us one and for some reason it got lost...  Also, I don't know how to write their thank you cards... I guess I could thank them for sharing the day with us, but what if they did give us a present?  then it would be rude not to mention it in the card.DH says he's going to ask them (they're close friends of him, and one of them was a GM)... I think it may be rude to ask... what would you do?

Re: Lost gifts / no gifts

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's kind of rude to ask. What if they actually didn't get you a gift? Then you'd be putting them in the very awkward position of saying, "Uh, no... we didn't get you a gift" and possibly feeling compelled to explain why. I wouldn't risk making my friends feel bad like that. Wait a couple more weeks to see if they send you anything after the fact. We had a few people approach us after we came back from the honeymoon to tell us that they had forgotten to bring the gift to the wedding. It would be nice to send a card just to say thanks for being there. If they actually did get you a gift and you fail to mention it in your card, they might call you up afterwards to check that you received it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with RingPop, You could send a card thanking them for coming, and if the gift turns up later just send a second card, or even a nice phone call.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree...just a card to say thanks for spending the day with us; and I think if you don't mention the gift it will nudge them to make sure you received it...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    which is ruder?  Sending them a nice card without thanking them for their (possible) gift, or asking them if they got you a gift?  The latter is definitely ruder.  Like ringpop said, they may get you something after the fact, or the thank you card might remind them that they didn't get you a gift, or may make them curious whether or not their gift reached you.  Even though one of your GM is the guest in question, it's still better not to ask them.  best of luck! :D
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • sillynutsillynut member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah that happened to us. We havent mentioned it to the two people at all & dont intend to.and we did get a few gifts when we got back from our honeymoon as well, so some may come a bit late, it happens.
  • edited December 2011
    God bless ringy. She knows her stuff!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards