Wedding Reception Forum

Boquet Toss?

The majority of my female friends are already married and a few have recently gotten divorced! Should I still do the boquet toss? I have always pictured doing the boquet toss at my wedding with a large group of girls clamoring to catch that darn thing...but I don't know how I feel about doing it if there are only 3 or 4 unmarried gals there. I really don't want to single anybody out or make a big deal about my girlfriends being "single." Any suggestions?
Anniversary

Re: Boquet Toss?

• I've heard of brides tossing a bouquet of lottery tickets, or something similar.  I'll bet if you tossed that, and announced that it was open to all the ladies present, single or not, you'd get quite a crowd.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Either skip the toss or have it open to all female guests to bring good luck to whatever relationship they have, whether single or married.
  • We skipped the tosses completely for similar reasons.  The majority of our friends are married or at least in relationships and I know from when I was single, most women HATE going up for the bouquet toss.  Just skip it.  No one will even miss it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm having the same dilemma that you are having.  I think I'm going to skip the bouquet & garter toss altogether.  Maybe we will do an anniversary dance in place of the bouquet & garter toss, but maybe not.  I haven't decided yet.  But an anniversary dance might be something you'd like to consider...
  • I went to a wedding where there were only 5 or 6 of us who weren't married. I felt kinda awkward. More so than usual.
  • We're skipping it for the same reason.
  • I would skip it, or leave it up to the single ladies. If they want to do it, then fine, if not no big deal. Maybe you could be a little untraditional, and get the guys and the girls out there to catch the bouquet, and/or garter.
  • Oh, Stage, the clamoring, it happens ... in the "right" crowd. When my BSC friend got married, 6 or 7 girls started destroying the bouquet (I mean, it got ripped to SHREDS) and it ended with 2 girls actually getting into fist fight on the dance floor for it. I'm still not quite sure HOW the determined the "winner" since there was hardly anything left of it when it was over. Either way, I think there's only 4 or 5 unmarried girls attending and 3 of them are engaged/in serious relationships. We were never going to do a garter toss in the first place (Unless FI had one in his pocket, I'd be waaaaay to embarassed to have him crawl under my dress), so we eventually just decided to scrap the idea entirely.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • We're skipping the bouquet and garter tosses. I have extremely independent single friends and they would be humiliated by it. I've always hated doing it, so I'm not going to make them.We're doing an anniversary dance, but we already know DF's gram will end up with the bouquet.
  • I am having a toss but instead of it being the boquet I'm putting a ribbon around several gerber daisey's when I toss it I will until the ribbon and each gerber daisy will fly for a girl to catch.  That way everyone gets a flower. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • We are not doing a Boquet toss as I see no reason for it, and I think it is very tacky.
  • I am just too darn traditional to scrap the boquet toss, so I really like the idea of doing a lottery-ticket boquet that is open for everybody to grab at, and I also like the idea of an anniversary dance...thanks for the great ideas! This has been SO helpful.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards