New Mexico
Options

2 questions about cake and colors

hello brides to be! i was wondering first if anyone has had any bad experiences with say it with cake? and second i've chosen black and red as my colors, which my mom finds morbid, does anyone else feel this way? black bridesmaid dresses with them holding red roses is what i wanted. thanks so much!

Re: 2 questions about cake and colors

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think black is a great color.  I was MOH in May and we wore black tea length in different styles. It looked fine and her colors were black, white and yellow.  I think what tends to seperate black dresses from "funeral" is the make-up, hair styling and accesories.  You could always point out that at black-tie affairs many ladies show up in black dresses, and that is very formal and elegant, not morbid.  Hope that helps. At the very leat, maybe you should show her the dresses you would like for them to wear.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think black and red are awesome colors! If I wasn't having my winter wonderland wedding I would love black and red! Also, if you read some of the previous post regarding cakes you'll see many reviews on Say it with Cake. I personally cannot speak highly enough of them, but I'm a fan! Best of luck!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} Hello aardvark2009! My favorite colors are red and black too! For my wedding I am using burgundy (a darker, richer shade of red) and black as the main colors and ivory and silver as accent colors. When thinking about colors and cakes, one of the florists I spoke to said to consider not using a lot of black on the cake as it might stain the teeth of you and your guest, especially when using a whipped cream or butter icing on the cake. She actually suggested not using black on the cake. However, I really want black polka dots on the cake. So, I am considering small circular black candy as polka dots on an ivory cake with a burgundy ribbon around each tier of the cake. As for dresses, I'm going to use the "Apple" color from David's Bridal, which could be accented with a black sash. I have four bridesmaids so I am also thinking having two girls wear the apple and two wear black. The groomsmen are going to wear all black with the Apple color tie and all black Vans shoes. My finance is going to wear all black with an ivory color tie and the all black Vans. As for flowers, I am still undecided about my flowers, but I will probably use the anemone flowers, roses, and a few other flowers. There are red anemone flowers with the black center.   Well, I hope this gives you some ideas! Good Luck!
    My Bio
    omg! we're days away!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    justjazzy98justjazzy98 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My colors are black, red, and ivory. I don't see anything morbid about it!! I am also having two bridesmaids wear the apple dresses and two wear black. What a coincidence!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used to always want black & red as my wedding colors...& then I agreed to have a spring wedding, so I switched to lavender & silver lol. But, I agree with everyone else, it's not morbid at all, especially if you pick very elegant dresses for your girls to wear.The only experience I've had with Say It With Cake is that on the taste testing, the cake was too dry for me. But you might have different tastes when it comes to cakes, & really like theirs. I'm gonna go with Le Paris French Bakery on Eubank. It's little known, but the prices are amazing, & the lady makes all her cakes with completely natural ingredients. She also had great ideas for the cake (i wanted to incorporate a fountain).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Im using Black , White and Green for my wedding. Black is now in for weddings I guess. Say it With Cake is absolutely amazing! The owner, Birdie, was helpful and has amazing ideas and skills!
  • Options
    jesunm2008jesunm2008 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My colors are Watermelon pink, black and Ivory. Nothing wrong with using black in your wedding! Its 2009 for goodness sake! Do what you want! :)
  • Options
    ozarka020ozarka020 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, just had my wedding the 17th and used Say it With Cake.  Everything turned out really good.  The cake was delivered on time, beautiful, exactly like the picture I showed her, and delicious.  I would def recommend her to a friend. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards