Ohio-Northeast

Having a friend marry you?

Does anyone know what's involved with the process?

Re: Having a friend marry you?

• PyroWolfePyroWolfe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay, a question right up my aisle. I'm an ordained Rev. for the state of Ohio, so I'd be happy to walk you through it. This person you would like to marry you needs to be over the age of 18, and either them or you will have to front a bit of money to get them legalized by the State. If you're willing to do that, then here's what you need to do. You can have your friend get ordained online (there are many places that will ordain you for free now-a-days), which is recognized by the state of Ohio- not all states except this, so you're lucky in that sense because it won't be a lot of work. After they are ordained they will need to buy a "Certificate of Good Standing" from the church they were ordained through. This is something you need to send to the state which proves you are ordained through that church and you are in good standing with them. Cost will vary from church to church. If you go to the State's website you need to find the page about the Secretary of State. There you will find a link regarding being an officiant with the state. They'll be a form on the site you can print out. You need to fill that out, send it to the Secretary of State, along with the Certificate of Good Standing from the church and a $10 fee. In a couple weeks your friend will get a certificate saying they can perform legally binding weddings in the State of Ohio (which never expires). If you have any problems or more questions, feel free to let me know.
  • amandam6803amandam6803 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do have another question. Can you just get ordained for 1 day? This seems very involved and pricey. Not that it shouldn't be but if there's another option I'd be interested to know what it is
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Unfortunatly if you'd want it to be a legally binding wedding then they have to be registered with the State. I know it does seem pretty pricey, but in the end if it's what you want then it's worth it. I mean, you get to have a friend marry you. And if they aren't charging you to do this, then the price of paying the fees will be a lot cheaper than hiring another officiant. I'm sorry that there isn't any 1-day thing. It would certainly be a lot easier, I agree. But, the State wants their money.
  • amandam6803amandam6803 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    so how much is the fee exactly?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, I haven't been online in a long while.  My computer crashed on me.  Well, there is a $10 fee to the state when you submit the paperwork.  But you also have to buy a Letter of Good Standing with whatever church they got ordained through- that price varies.  I would say most places would be between $10-$20 for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards