Iowa-Quad Cities

Photographers

Can anyone recommend a great photographer for $1,000 or less (preferrably less)? If they give rights to photos and a photo album is included in the price its a plus. Thanks!

Re: Photographers

• LoveMyPEguyLoveMyPEguy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry, but I can't recommend a specific vendor for that price. But my advice would be go through the vendor directory on www.qcweddings.com and find portfolios of a few photogs that you like. Make sure that they offer the negative rights and call them. Most photographers are willing to tailor a package to suit your needs. I used Creative Wedding Package and Todd was amazing. Another photog I would recommend is Artistic Photography. I know he gave a co-worker of mine a really fair price. And a way I saved $$ is I asked for a package without the albums. My photog offered digital albums - the same ones I could make on shutterfly. So he deducted the album price and I'm making my own, the way I want them for a cheaper price. Good luck with your decisions!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks!
  • brandydubrandydu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At that price point, an album will be hard to include with a CD of your photos. But if you get the photos, do you really need an album? Do you know someone who scrapbooks who can help you make one? William Baumgartner of Muscatine is who I am using.  A good friend used him too.  He does packages without the albums but will give you a CD of your photos to make it more budget friendly.
  • edited December 2011
    That would be great. I'm starting to look for photographers so I assumed that you had to have the photo album, the coffee table books...all those extras. I was confused about what rights to the pictures, so it's basically that they give you a CD with your pictures? How is the quality when you do print them out on your own?
  • mommabarker09mommabarker09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The quality of the print depends on the printer. I have went through Walmart, Walgreens, and Shutterfly to print professional pictures and they have all turned out well. I plan on trying to just get the rights to my pictures and printing them myself.
  • LoveMyPEguyLoveMyPEguy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've had the best luck with shutterfly. You can always find online coupon codes for discounts and free shipping. The quality is great, also. I always have my pics printed in matte, not glossy finish and it looks better. My photog actually recommended shutterfly. And as I and pp stated, you really don't need the photog to make albums if you own the rights to the negatives - you can do them yourself.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the great advice! I think we're going with William Baumgardner in Muscatine. He has a really reasonably priced package with 8 hrs and pictures on the CD.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's great.  People should know that nearly everything is negotiable with wedding vendors, especially photographers. So many people are cutting photo services to save money that they have to be flexible to get business. Bill has been great so far. Soon we'll be doing engagement photos.
  • edited December 2011
    Brandy, we just booked Bill! I really loved his work from the website and he is really great to work with. I can't wait for our engagement pics.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We should be doing our engagement photos soon. I'll post those when they are ready!
  • katelynsandonkatelynsandon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I booked Poole's Image Creations - I saw her at a local bridal fair and they are reasonable in price meeting your price point. They did our engagment pictures and were super easy to work with and did a fantastic job. Just a thought! The number to contact is 309.738.2479.Good luck!
    The future Mrs. Darling
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did our engagement photos two weeks ago with William Baumgartner. I knew going in that posed photos were not his strong point but ... I felt a bit out of sorts. Stiff poses, not much direction. He did not notice that in most of the photos, due to the direction we were standing, the camera was shooting right into my blouse and you can see my bra! If he had told me to stand on the other side or adjust, more of my photos would have been usable.  I had to be very specific about the cropping and adjustments I wanted to see on the remaining photos before I made a decision.  For the day of, I'll be making a wish list of shots to keep things on task and ask to see a few on the viewer as we go along. I'll probably be getting the wedding coordinator to help with that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards