Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

including deceased parent

My FI's dad passed away less than 3 months ago. We'd like to include his name on the invitation.  The question is, what is the appropriate way to put it?
John Smith son of the late Dr. Joe & Sally Smith?
or
John Smith son of the late Dr. Joe Smith & Sally Smith?

His mother is still alive and his parents were married up until his dad passed away.

Re: including deceased parent

• Options
    technically  you really shouldn't put the deceased on any invitation.  However, circumstances differ so I suggest

Mr. FI's first, middle, last

son of Mrs. Joseph Smith and the late Dr. Smith
  • Options
    Most I've seen list the living parent first -- the way you have it typed out in your OP would lead me to believe that they are both deceased.

I would put:
    John Middlename Smith
    son of Mrs. Sally Smith and the late Dr. Joseph Smith
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I completely understand needing to include the deceased parent. I know "technically" speaking the deceased parent isn't supposed to be included on the invitations. However when you think about how much the recentely deceased parent has been involved in your FI's life and your's they are very much present in your life.

I agree with the above comments stating that you should list the list the living parent first.

My FI's father passed away several years ago, and his mother just a couple months ago, we are listing both his parent as the late Mr. and Mrs. P present FI. This way it states that both are deceased, but still mean very much to us as a couple.
    Everyone who is close to you as a couple will appreciate you including his late parent
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards