South Carolina-Charleston

bridal gown salon recomendations?

Hi! I'll be visiting family in Summerville and Charleston next month and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a good bridal salon in the area.

Re: bridal gown salon recomendations?

• edited December 2011
    I would say that it totally depends on your budget. I got my dress from White on Daniel Island. The dresses there start at about $1300 I think. Also on Daniel Island is the Gown Boutique of Charleston. I went there and was not impressed. I thought they were stuck up. The kicker was they make you wash your hands before trying on so you don't dirty the dresses but then there little dog is in there and it kept laying down on the train of a dress! If your budget is between $500 - $2000, then I would try Bridals By Jodi in N. Charleston. She is the owner of White also and is awesome. The other shops in the area are Jeans and Bridal House (Mt. Pleasant), Condons (West Ashley), and David's Bridal in North Charleston. I went to Jeans and thought they were very pushy saleswise and Bridal House just didn't have anything I liked. Just don't forget no matter where you go, call and schedule an appointment! Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • moslimosli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you so much!
  • edited December 2011
    I bought my gown at Belle Couture in Mt. Pleasant. I cannot say enough nice things about the owner, Sarah, and her staff. She is nice, listens to you, honest and it is in a totally non pressure environment. I tried on many dresses from her, but actually wound up purchasing a sample gown. If I remember correctly, she is gearing up for a big sample sale next month. When I get a chance I will check my email and post the details. I also went to White, and didn't see anything I liked on me, and then she suggested I visit her other store in N Chas, Bridals by Jodi. I was unimpressed with Bridals by Jodi, there were very few dresses I liked, but I also went on a Sat in the middle of prom season so this may have also colored my view. If you don't mind a drive or a diy experience, there is also the Bridal Outlet in Santee, all the proceeds help to fight breast cancer. Think Marshall's but with bridal gowns, most are samples and most are well under $1000. There is also Jean's in Mt P. I know some people have had a good experience there, but I was ignored from the moment I walked into the store.
  • edited December 2011
    I also got my dress at White and loved everything about my experience.  Ditto PP, stay away from Gown Boutique of Charleston, I can't believe how rude they are.  I also had great experiences at Maddison Row, Belle Couture and Jean's.  HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    We were pretty put off by the hand washing requirement at the Gown Boutique of Charleston as well. They also don't let you take photos which really sucks. I think there are a number of salons that have this policy but this was the only one I visited that didn't allow photos and her explanation of the policy was pretty weak. The dress has been a difficult decision for me and it has been a really helpful to go back and look at the photos after the appointment. 
  • edited December 2011
    I thought Bridals by Jodi had some of the most used/tried on gowns of any bridal shop. They were dirty and had just seen better days. I also shopped Jeans which was a good experience in my opinion, but they hide the sale/sample dresses, so if you go there be sure to look along the back wall by the staircase. Never saw them until my last trip out when I had decided on another gown at a different shop Bought my gown at Bridal House of Chas, they do have a smaller selection and I only found one gown there that I liked, but that was my favorite of all the gowns, so it worked for me.
  • edited December 2011
    I was surprised to see that Gown Boutique was not popular! I felt very welcomed when my mom and I shopped there. As far as washing your hands...consider if you were to buy one of their sample dresses - wouldn't you want people to have washed their hands? Take a look at the gowns at White and you'll see why...they get pretty beat up. I had a great experience at Gown Boutique, White, Madison Row, and Belle Couture. Jean's was very crowded and did not have the personal service of the others. The dressing rooms were tiny. They didn't have a wide variety of styles either - for the most part, strapless A-line was it! That said, I did not even end up buying a gown in Charleston :) I live in Central NC but I've shopped in Charleston and Charlotte. My dress is from Hayden Olivia in Charlotte, which I definitely recommend! Laura was so helpful and noticed little details I may have overlooked to help me find the perfect gown.
  • edited December 2011
    Fyi, Belle Couture is having its sample sale December 17-19.  If you are going to be in town, I would definitely give them a call.
  • edited December 2011
    I wasn't concerned about the hand washing, it was more the owner snatching a dress out of my mom's hand and saying "I was actually just about to pull that for someone else to try on" and her response when I didn't like the first dress "Well you said you wanted A line".  I think for the price of their gowns they could definitely make you feel more welcome.  We actually left half way through my appointment.
  • edited December 2011
    What designer/make is your dress, miabambina? It's beautiful (from what I can see at least)!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you!  It's Manuel Mota.  It was originally strapless, we added the straps and had the dress cut down in a V in the back.  That's what i love about Jodi, since she's also a designer, she'll make a dress exactly what you want it to be even if it wasn't designed that way! PIP a couple more pics in case you're interested!
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry the dress is called Cantabria
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, I was really impressed with her eye for details and flexibility. It looks great. I *almost* purchased Manuel Mota "Scarlet" there, but ended up going with the dress at Hayden Olivia that shows off my figure a bit more. Won't have this bod forever, haha!
  • edited December 2011
    miabambina: If you don't mind me asking: how much did it cost to cut the back of your dress down? I am thinking about doing this as well... Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    If I remember correctly it was about $380 for all of the alterations on the dress...the hem, bustle, taking it in, adding straps and cups, adding buttons down the back, and cutting it down to a V in the back.  HTH!
  • moslimosli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much! My mum and i went to a few diffferent salons, and in the end I actually ended up getting my dress from White. Jodi was absolutely wonderful. I can't wait to go back and have my fitting.

Thank you all again for all the tips!
  • edited December 2011
    Isn't she the best!  I'm glad you found your dress!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards