New York-Upstate
Options

Too Early to send save-the-dates?

We are getting married October 8, 2010.  It's a Friday and I think that fact alone makes save-the-dates extra important.  I've read that they can be sent out six months before the wedding but I'm afraid that it's so early people with just toss them to the side.  Anyone have an opinion on this one?

Re: Too Early to send save-the-dates?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married October 23, 2010.  While the wedding is in the Albany area (where we live) my family is from Rochester and his from downstate NY so we know they will need to get accomodations.  Because of this we are sending our STD's out in February (7 months in advance).  We are doing  magnets so the hope is that people will just slap them on their fridge.  We will then send invites out probably in August.
  • Options
    BelhurstBrideBelhurstBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It'll get tossed. You have to remember that no one cares about your wedding as much as you do. I don't think we sent our STDs out 6 months in advance for our holiday weekend wedding and we had guests coming from over seas. We had an overwhelming number of guests come- far more than the internet predicted 20% regret rate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    faith194faith194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were engaged December 2007 and our wedding was on August 7th. We sent out our STD magnets in February 2009. . .Heck, it still didn't help(it said Friday, August 7th), we still had people shocked that our wedding was on a Friday---even some key players!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    our wedding (in lake placid) is on saturday october 16th, 2010. we have already sent out our STDs because the wedding is "destination" for almost everyone. so far we've gotten a great response. we included a fridge magnet, and people have consistently told me that even if we had not included the magnet they would have posted it on their fridge, bulliten board, etc. i think if the wedding is already on peoples radars (because they are your friends, or family, or close friends of family) it wont get "tossed" necessarily. people are expecting it. including a sticker or magnet might help them be constantly reminded, though. good luck!
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We sent Save the Dates out only to out of town guests (so they could make arrangements, many were flying in) and to the wedding party.  I think it did seem to make a difference, at least to some who jumped and got on the flights and the hotel room, or at least started stalking the flight prices so get a good one.  We got engaged Dec. 25 2008 and are getting married in 4 days (holy crap) and sent the Save the Dates out in March.  The other reason we only sent to OOT guests and the wedding party, we had not completed our guest list and were very undecided still at that point, but the OOT guests were for sure...  Good luck...
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married in October 2009.  It was Columbus Day weekend during fall peak foliage time.  All of our guests needed to travel and about 1/3 needed to travel so far that they had to spend at least 1 night.  We got married on a Saturday so that is a little different than you.  Right now would probably be a bad time to send the STDs because of the holidays being right around the corner and the chances that it will get put aside and forgotten.We sent our STDs in April 2009.  In retrospect, I probably wouldn't have bothered sending them because the people that had to travel the furthest didn't attend anyway.  But if you really want to send them, I would recommend about 4-6 months out.  If it is not a holiday weekend and there is nothing going on to fill the hotels, 4 months is probably enough time.For anyone who you think has to schedule their time off in January for the year, you could email them and let them know that you are getting married on 10/8 and you thought you'd let them know so that they can request time off, if needed.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are date twins! mine went out already, i sent them out at the beginning of oct.  one reason being columbus day weekend, 2:everyone was bugging me about it, and 3 it is a small dest wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding was Oct 2009 and I sent mine out in xmas cards in 2008 (thought I'd kill two birds with one stone type of thing) DH is originally from Michigan so we had a lot of OOT guests.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are actually getting married the week before you and I sent out my save the dates out last weekend.  Since our wedding is also on a Friday I wanted to give everyone a heads up, especially those coming from out of state.  I figure they will have time to plan any vacation time they may need to use and save for travel expenses.  Also, we did save the date magnets so that they wouldn't get tossed.. I've already had so many people tell me what a "clever" idea they were and that they immediately put them on their fridge.  I was going to wait until December but I didn't want the mail to get mixed up with all the holiday craziness.  You are always going to have some people who will lose what you send them (I ordered extras) and they'll always get another reminder when its time to send the invites.  Either way, good luck! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards