Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

makeup recomendations please

I need some recomendations for foundation and concealer for my make up....preferably like you would get at Walmart or a drugstore.....I can't afford the higher end stuff (like MAC) Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: makeup recomendations please

• Options
    What's your skin like? Dry, oily, combo? Dark circles? We need to know what we're working with here in order to make recommendations. :) I'm probably using Revlon Colorstay foundation for my wedding, it stays put for a long time and covers very well. It can look cakey though if you use too much.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I use bare minerals. Its expensive but I don’t wear makeup everyday. So I purchased a started kit (for about $60) with the foundation and some other things. It comes with the brushes. I have been using it for like 3 years now. But my friend who wears a ton of makeup all the time goes through a thing of foundation every 4-6 months I think. Any way I like it. It looks very natural and Iam never orange and the kit is matched to your skin type. Within the kit you get two foundations one is a little darker, so I use that one in the summer when I am tan. A lady that works at the beauty counter at Macys … long story told me she likes the makeup but mineral makeup gets way down in your pores so that is a downfall to it (kinda because it covers up more but can block your pores...even though it is breathable). But for the people out there who are gun ho and not having any nasty chemicals in your makeup its good. Most places that sell it will put it on you before you buy it so you can see if you like it. I do not recommend Bare Minerals big tease mascara. I HATE it. Sorry that was really long… GL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I use Bare Minerals too on a daily basis, but I DO NOT recommend it for wedding day makeup, or any mineral makeup. first of all, it doesn't last. my makeup doesn't last through lunch usually. it looks great to the naked eye, but the camera flash will bounce off the makeup and make you look completely washed out. no good makeup artist would use mineral makeup on a day where there are lots of pictures taken.I'm wearing Smashbox personally, but you don't want that. When looking for a foundation, you probably want full coverage--I like cream formulas and I have combination/dry skin. you want to get something WITHOUT sunscreen if possible, because a cheaper sunscreen (found in drugstore makeup) will also bounce back a camera flash. wear your sunscreen under your foundation. good cheaper formulas I've used in the past were Cover Girl Ultimate Finish Liquid Powder makeup (it's a cream foundation in a black compact) and the Cover Girl Aquasmooth foundation (another cream foundation in a blue compact).a cream concealer (I like Physician's Formula potted concealers) is thin enough to blend well, but thick enough to cover what you need to cover.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    As far as my skin type I am a T-zone combination girl.  I am also in my mid 40's and I know that some foundations just don't work well with older skin.  I do have the dark circles :( so that is my main area of concern.  I don't want to look tired in my wedding pics. 
  • Options
    Oh and also I have tried mineral makeup and didn't like how it went on my skin....I think that that type of makeup is made for younger skin.  And if you have any recomendations for me to be able to give my skin a natural glow.
  • Options
    You could try the Revlon Colorstay Oily Skin Formula. I apply it with a kabuki brush, and you can even wet the brush first if you want sheer coverage. As long as you apply it with a light hand, it shouldn't settle into your lines or pores. It helps to use a primer first too. A lot of people really like Rimmel foundations too, but I found their colors to be really off. As far as concealer, I have dark undereye circles also and haven't had much luck with drugstore concealers. They all seem to settle into the creases under my eyes really badly. You could try some of the Physician's Formula concealers, people seem to really like those. Two of the best pieces of advice I can give you:1.) Check out makeupalley.com before you try anything out. You can check reviews for each specific product, and can filter reviews based on reviewers with similar coloring/skin types as you. It was a huge help to me.2.) Buy your makeup at a store that will allow you to return anything you don't like (not sure if you have Rite-Aid where you are but that's where I buy my drugstore makeup.) I hate wasting money on makeup I don't like.Sorry it was so long, good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Revlon Colorstay has quite the following... I learned about it from the ladies on the Fashion & Beauty board over on the Nest. So many prefer it over more expensive foundations, including MAC and Make Up Forever.
  • Options
    Edit: To be clear, it is the liquid foundation, not the mineral or any other colorstay foundation they have. It's the one in the glassy tube with a black lid.
  • Options
    I am 40 too and I used Studio Gear Satin Foundation from Ulta, around $15.00 and I loved it! I also used a primer underneath as well....also an eye shadow primer and my makeup lasted all day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards