Ohio-Northeast
Options

Anyone else have this problem?

So i've a horrible time getting a place for our reception. We found one place, placed a deposit, everything. Then 3 months later they call and tell they've doubled-booked us and we have to change the date--which unfortunately is impossible.So amazingly enough we found another place that would work but they called yesterday and canceled on us. apparently no one from that church was willing to be there during the reception which they require.So i was wondering if anyone knew of another place we could have our reception?It needs to have a kitchen and allow us to cook our own food, fit about 250 people, and be less that $800.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Anyone else have this problem?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Not that I can help much, but where is your location? Also are you serving alcohol?
  • Options
    KT82KT82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    maybe check out local VFW or American Legion halls
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know St. Bedes of Mentor has a community center area next to the church that has a kitchen. A friend of mine had their reception there about 3 years ago I think it was. I dont know pricing. Nor do I know what side of town you are looking for.....HTH!
  • Options
    lesleybenlesleyben member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    st. marys church in elyria
  • Options
    JoeyOzJoeyOz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Saw that you're in Akron...a little south there is Uniontown Community Park (www.uniontowncommpark.org)
  • Options
    ayamm1123ayamm1123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    North Canton Civic Center may be an option!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are looking for something kind of close to the akron area, but really, i'm getting so desperate that i'll try just about anywhere. (and thanks for the suggestion but uniontown community park is the first place we had)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    and no alcohol
  • Options
    Pandora9802Pandora9802 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Richfield.  I know the old library there can be rented out.  It has a full kitchen and should be large enough for that many people.  We had my MOH's wedding shower there last year and there seemed tons of space.  Unfortunately, I can't find a link online.  However, if you call one of the area visitor's bureaus, they should have info on it.The visitor's bureau may have some other good ideas for you, too.
  • Options
    mamboqueenmamboqueen member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Community center? Kiwanis Lodges or Rotary clubs? Sorry not really helping
  • Options
    JoeyOzJoeyOz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry Uniontown Community Park didn't work out for you guys! How about the Tadmor Shrine Temple (arlington rd/77 area)? (330) 644-8494 I know they can fit that many people but not sure about kitchen areas but wouldn't hur to call and ask. :-) Maybe Lake Anna Hall in Barberton? Very pretty, don't know much about it though. I think the Kauffman Center in Hartville would work but the one time I called them I never heard back. (330) 877-4391 Maybe here, in Stow? http://www.acker-moorememorialpost.com/ That's all I can think of right now. Good luck!
  • Options
    skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tadmore might be a good option, it will certainly hold that many. Also, try any Masonic Temple in the area.   Click on an area on this map to see the Masonic Temples listed there.Some buildings are larger than others and will have nicer/bigger kitchens. Alcohol is NOT permitted in Ohio Masonic Temples.  Some of the halls listed at the site below provide phone numbers and or emails, if you don't see a phone number you should be able to find them in the phone book by the number listed.http://www.mastermason.com/bridgeportlodge181/ohiodis.swfHope this is helpful.
  • Options
    skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to mention most Masonic Temples will allow you to do your own cooking and most likely will allow you to use all of their kitchen appliances, etc  - roasters, dinnerware, flatware, etc.There are a few that will not, I know Mansfield and the one in Worthington on High Street require you to hire professional cooks but that is not typical of most. And yes, I know neither of those are facilities you would be considering given your location.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Didn't you have a signed contract obligating both parties to the date?  Why do you have to re-schedule and not the other hall renter?  I would ask the cancelling hall to cough up some additional dollars to help place you in another location, or make up the difference in costs for an equally suitable location.  Sounds like on your budget you may need to be more flexible with the date- wouldn't that be easier?  I can't imagine anywhere wedding-ish that rents the whole place for $800 a day.  I know the old courthouse downtown is like $500, but that's per hour, and I doubt they have a kitchen.  Maybe you could do a picnic-in-the-park type of wedding, if no other location is available?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yes we did, but the other couple apparently scheduled first. that's why we had to change and not them. we would change the date but it's not possible. our friends are getting married the week before (they're in our wedding party, we're in theirs and different churches so no double wedding) and the week before that is my finals week. it would be too hard to get married during the semester. we can't move it back either because our honeymoon is already booked and we can't change it. and a honeymoon before the wedding would equal zero fun for us, waaaaaay too hard. we just need a room big enough to hold us, nothing fancy. i'm considering the outdoor thing but i'm nervous about weather. here in may it could be nice, it could storm, i wouldn't even be too suprised if we had snow. lol.
  • Options
    JoeyOzJoeyOz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked into renting Uniontown Community Park but after the costs of a caterer, table linen rental, etc, it was cheaper. Not sure if that will be true for you, but I'd suggest looking into Lolli's in Belden Village. Cheapest all-inclusive banquet cetner around! Also, check out the North Canton Civic Center. South of you, but has a kitchen and will hold a lot of guests. http://www.northcantonohio.com/content/civic-center-1.htm Other than that, I'd just suggest callling all the community centers around. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the suggestion, but we are actually getting a lot of stuff donated, so we won't need a caterer or stuff like that.i hadn't thought about the civic center. thanks.
  • Options
    notgracenotgrace member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi,Try the Tallmadge Community Center. We looked at it and it was going to be 700 for all day Saturday AND Friday night setup. There is a full kitchen. You can bring in all your own stuff, to include alcohol.http://www.tallmadge-ohio.org/parks_rec/parks/community_center/index.htmlWe went with Greystone Hall instead but the Community Center was a very good deal.You may have to trim your guest list. I believe it only fits 200 or so.good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards