New York-New York City
Options

HELP!! choosing between 2 venues

I have narrowed my venue search down to two venues:  the waldorf=astoria and the hudson theatre (two VERY different venues, i know).  We definitely want something different for our wedding (the hudson theatre is different for obvious reasons, and for us the waldorf is also different because of its history and how beautiful and well-known it is).  price wise, with all of the extras we would want with the hudson theatre they came out to be pretty much the same price.  Origionally I was set on the waldorf, but my fiance worries that if we go with the waldorf people won't let loose and have fun.  I agree and now i'm worried about that too, but I also worry that the theatre might be a little too theatrical (neither of us are involved with theatre in any way, so it's not like people are expecting a theatrical wedding from us).  Has anyone been to a wedding at either of these venues???  I need to decide within the next few days!

Re: HELP!! choosing between 2 venues

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have not been to weddings at either.  I have been to a banquet or two at the Waldorf and they do a great job.  I think that if your only concern with the Waldorf is that people won't let loose, you shouldn't worry about that.  Once the drinks start flowing and the band/dj kicks in people will have a great time no matter what.  Many, many people I am sure dream of getting married at the Waldorf and if it's in in your budget I say go for it!
  • Options
    cknud112cknud112 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend had her wedding at the Waldorf a few years ago.  It was a beautiful wedding.  She had a great band and the dance floor was packed all night.  I wouldn't worry about people not "letting loose" b/c of the venue.  If you supply good music, I'm sure your guests will have a great time.
  • Options
    alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I vote Waldorf! If your guest are the "let loose and have fun" type, it wont make any difference what venue you choose.I also think, its a major treat to go there. I would be psyched if I got invited to a wedding at the Waldorf!

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've attended two weddings and quite a few benefits at the Waldorf, and I always have such a great time! The acoustics of the ballroom are great for a big band, which really keeps the dance floor packed and the energy up. Plus, at both of the weddings, the bride and groom joined the younger guests at the bar in the lobby to continue the fun post-reception well into the night. Like I said, it was a blast!
    From Oy Vey to Ole!

I survived the RoLex wedding and all I got was this lousy husband.
    One&Only Palmilla - Los Cabos, Mexico
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you want your guests to let loose and have fun, much of that will depend on how you begin to sell your affair.  If you go with a very traditional invitation and the site is the Waldorf, and dress is black tie, etc., then that's going to give an air of uptightness that some folks may not let loose.  Of course, if you have a good dj or band, they should know how to get the party up and running. If you like the venue but don't want it so formal, then be sure that's reflected in your choice of invitations, wording, etc. I looked at using the Hudson Theatre and I have no background in theatre - no one will think that unless you create a whole threatre theme with your invites, etc. etc. At the end of the day, seeing as how price isn't a concern, decide which venue you envision having so much fun and looking back on years from now.  GL.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I vote for the Hudson Theatre, not because your guests won't have fun at the Waldorf, but because I think it's more unusual than a hotel ballroom, and so gives you the opportunity to make the event more creative and more about you.  But the Waldorf must be wonderful too - I think it really depends on what you want your wedding to feel like, and which of the spaces better reflects your and your groom's personal styles (which doesn't mean you have to be theatre people at all, just less grand, ornate hotel ballroom people).  Think about the style of invitation, dress, flowers, etc. that you want to have, and which venue better suits that style.  Good luck - what a fun choice!  You can't go wrong!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards