New York-New York City
Options

trunk shows

I made an appointment for the Melissa Sweet trunk show at Saks and I'm wondering if I can expect a discount if I purchase my dress during the trunk show.I have heard from other brides that its pretty common to be offered a discount at trunk shows, but I called Saks and they said they didn't know (or at least they're not telling me.)

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos

Re: trunk shows

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Generally trunk shows (esp at SAKS) do not offer discounts. Trunk shows are to preview the new season. It was my experience that when they were labeled as "sample sale" was the only time a discount applied. I bought my dress at SAKS in short hills NJ (before it stopped having a bridal salon) because it was the only place besides Vera wang's boutique that sold my dress, including SAKS manhattan. I knew I wanted to buy my dress at SAKS because a lot of my friends had wonderful experiences, and it was the only place I could get my dress with somewhat of a discount. SAKS is great! Open up a card and get 10% off...and on top of that the sales associate rang up my dress on multiple bonus days, so I ended up getting just over 1,000 to spend in SAKS cash. and THEN....since i "spent" a certain amount on my SAKS card for the year, over the summer I got ANOTHER saks gift card for over 250!! It's so hard to explain typing it...but the sales girl can explain it better. Basically the more you spend the more you get back! LOVE SAKS! HAppy dress shopping!
  • Options
    kriserinkriserin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I was at Kleinfelds's they me there was a discount during the trunk show.  At Kleinfeld's it was 12.5%.  I wound ordering the dress I loved at the trunk show 2 months later and they still gave me the discount.
  • Options
    alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks to both of you for your input!kriserin- they also told me 12.5% at Kleinfeld's when I went there for a trunk show. But when I went two other times (not for me) I realized that is their standard discount that all consultants offer. Its not related to the trunk shows at all. agelo- do you have any idea if Saks in Manhattan has the same excellent customer service you had in NJ? I've heard only negative things about the bridal salon there. Specifically, snooty unhelpful saleswomen.

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hummmmm goood question. my sales lady might be at saks manhattan now...she was deciding on retiring or working one more year. Marie K....but she goes by Mimi. You can try asking for her. Please try on dresses at Selia Yang too...I love that store...sigh...hahaha
  • Options
    kriserinkriserin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the nicest salesperson at Saks. I didn't get my dress there but the experience was great. Her name was Emo, or something close to that. An older woman that was really so helpful. You may want to ask for her.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that Saks gives Trunk show discounts due to the fact that they offer that 10% discount when you open a credit card there.  I worked with Jill Northrop from Saks and really enjoyed her and her expertise.To be honest, I think you can find a better deal re: a Melissa Sweet Dress.  At smaller salons they sometimes offer as large as a 15% discount during Trunk shows.  I ended up purchasing my Rivini dress at The Wedding Salon of Manhasset during a trunk show and I received a 15% discount.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  I ended up getting my dress at Saks in nyc.  I haven't gone through the fitting process yet since the wedding is not until May.  I had a great shopping experience there though!  I bought my dress at a trunk show...in terms of discounts I got the 10% off plus alterations included plus i really wanted a few fabrics buttons sewn down the back zipper so they threw that in.  Also if you are able to get your dress shipped to nj, you can save yourself tax.  Hope this helps!
  • Options
    alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    rse1221- did you get 10% from the designer or for opening and account?Priscilla of Boston offers 10% plus 5% if I opened and account (which I prefer not to do.) There are sometimes promotions for alterations, but my dress is tea length so I wont need the hemming or the bustling which are the only thing it applies to.Based on what you guys have said here, I think my best bet is to take the 10% at Saks and get some Saks cash back. Not sure how much to expect, but its better than nothing. And I could use it to buy shoes or accessories or something.

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • Options
    alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oops! I don't know why I'm bold!

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi,10% off for opening a Saks account.  Not my first choice because I wanted to get points towards airline miles on my own credit card but worth it for the discount!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think Saks might be an exception regarding trunk shows, maybe because of the credit card promotion.  When I tried on dresses at the Vera Wang Salon and the Carolina Herrera Salon during trunk shows, they each offered 10% off on all their dresses, and made it pretty clear that the discount would end as soon as the trunk show did.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards