New York-Long Island
Options

Photography Recommendations

Hello long island brides to be...im new to the knot...and pleasantly a little overwhelmed by how much information in made available on this site.I am getting married 10.10.10 at the Jericho Terrace...working on photography, band and flowers....wanted to get any recommendations/suggestions...We checked out 'Patken' and liked what they have to offer...but it is the first one we have checked out....We are also looking at Mark Weiss, Jovan, Fine Art for a few...any recommendations? Any suggestions/tid bits greatly appreciated!Thanks, and congrats to everyone!

Re: Photography Recommendations

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome from one JT bride to another! I'm getting married there May 14th, 2010!! I highly recommend Duet for photography. I was SO pleasantly pleased by the quality of their work and by how MUCH you get with their packages. I was also considering Patken and Fine Art but Patken seemed a little too suggestive to me and Fine Art was a little more expensive than Duet.Also, we're using the house recommended Body Rock for the DJ! Hope this helps, and if you have any questions, please feel free to page me!
  • Options
    MOOSHUMOOSHU member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Dan Wagner and I am absolutely in love with every single picture he took.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using Patken and they came highly recommended. We like them so far and they aren't too expensive. I have heard Duet and Thomas Paul are good also, but I found Thomas Paul to be too "suggestive".
  • Options
    alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011
    review in bio

• Options
    bonniebrettbonniebrett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    using salzman and ashley. not 100% sure if i recommend them yet, but our engagement photos came out very nice.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're using Studio 790, Tommy Meyer. He works for a larger studio but is developing his own studio as well. We're going for our engagement shoot next week. All I can say is I've seen a lot of photographers' work but every time I look at his (including from the other studio's website - which I sought out myself after he told me the name), I get a warm and wonderful feeling. He's a little tough to get a hold of sometimes (not the best business guy) but his work is just wonderful. I also went to Jovan. I found them HIGH PRESSURE SALES and negative about others (two immediate turn offs for me). I also thought the quality of their sample video was quite poor. Also, Jovan himself showed us the photography books - which were all beautiful. When he heard our price range, he told me he would not be able to do it for that price but that another photographer who works for him (who was, of course, "an excellent photographer") would do the actual wedding. When I asked which of the 5 books we'd seen was his, I was told "we all shoot the same way." THAT MADE ME REALLY NERVOUS! Like others, I found Patken's site way too suggestive for us. I tend to be on the more conservative and romantic side (more important to see the love in the eyes than the flesh of the boob or the hands on the thigh) and my fiance tends to be conservative, not crazy about being in the spot light and pretty camera shy and uncomfortable on a normal day. I have heard that they tone things down (and others here will tell you they've seen the work to prove it) but was afraid that while we can always say no, my fiance might be put off just being asked to try some more risque stuff. That all being said, I've not heard about anyone being disappointed by them. You didn't ask about ADA but that's another big studio in the area. I've heard mixed things about them. I just went to a wedding they did. My girlfriend (who was also planning a wedding) and I noticed the photographer took a lot of breaks and we saw them leave about half an hour or 45 minutes before the party was over (which ended on time). Before the photographer left, he handed out cards that gave the website and password to view photos. The card said the photos would be on their website within 2 weeks. After 3 weeks, I stopped looking. When I looked again 2 weeks later, they'd been posted. I believe there are mixed things about them on this site. What I like about Tommy is this is his name and reputation on the line. If he doesn't do a good job, I'm telling people HE'S not good, not that Patken or ADA or Jovan or whoever is not good. A smaller guy/girl will often do more for you because (s)he's the boss and (s)he's the guy/girl who does the work,etc. Hope this helps, congrats on your impending wedding and good luck in your search!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used Chuck Fishman Photography and I was so happy with everything. Pics below and you can check out his website at chuckfishmanweddings.com I also really loved my florist- petalspremier.com He gave us a ton for our low budget and does amazing things with higher budgets. I suggest them both!!
  • Options
    MiDushi85MiDushi85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Cousins Photography. It's a husband and wife team (Paul and Kim) who live in Huntington. They have been so amazing so far. They let us look at about 400 proofs and seriously, you could frame all the pictures. They also have great packages that are very inclusive. We just had our engagement photo shoot and it was so amazing and relaxed. I can't wait to get the proofs. They're great because they do your shoot, no profiles to fill out and being paired with photographers that you meet after you sign a contract.
  • Options
    lm3898lm3898 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going with Kimberly Hurst.  I found her once when this topic came up about 6 months or so ago.  LOVE her photos & we clicked when we met in person.  Her rates are reasonable & her albums are gorgeous!  You can see her website/blog:www.kimberlyhurst.com/blogI also looked at Duet...sorry to all who went with them, they have great photos but I found them to be a bit pushy...they told me there was only one photographer left on my day & I needed to book immediately...this was more than a year out...I just called again last week b/c I didn't believe them about the rush & sure enough...months after meeting them my date is still open...hmmm.I met with CLY creation...gorgeous but too pricy.Bella Pictures does offer a lot (they threw in % off & print credits etc.) but in the end I didn't want to sign with someone without meeting my exact photographer which is what they ask.Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards