Catholic Weddings
Options

Will these dresses work for a a Catholic ceremony?

So I've got 4 dresses from Davids Bridal picked out that I like and they are all very simple ones without trains or poofiness to them. I read the reviews on them and practically all of them say that they loved them for their beach wedding! Yes they do look like they are for outdoor informal ceremonies, but those are the ones I like. Everytime I see Catholic brides they have the long train, the poofiness, the veil and I don't want any of that. Is that okay??

Re: Will these dresses work for a a Catholic ceremony?

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know where everyone got the idea that Catholic wedding = big glitzy/poofy dress, long train, big veil and all that, because it's simply not true.The only thing you should check is whether your priest has any rules regarding modesty (covering certain body parts, etc.). Otherwise your simple, informal dresses are perfectly fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh noes! I'm wearing a simple tea length dress without poofy things and sequins. My wedding is doomed! ;)No, you can wear anything you want, as long as it's in good taste. You could wear a purple business suit to be married. Everything about wedding attire is simply tradition.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    simple dresses are fine.  you dont even have to wear white.  as a pp said, just check with modesty standards.  many churches dont allow strapless, for example, and you want to be careful about any low necklines/cleavage revealing necklines, and nothing too short.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Unless your church has specific rules. No parish I have even been part of has had these rules. Simple and informal is fine if that fits the feel of your wedding and your taste
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Of course a simple dress will be allowed, but maybe you are wondering more whether it will be "ok" as in looking out of place in a church?  I think that a simple, less formal dress is just fine in a more formal, elegant setting, as long as the rest of the wedding party is at a similar level of formality/simplicity.  If everyone else is in tails with white bow ties and floor length beaded gowns, a "beach" -y dress might look a little out of place, but guys in suits and ties, girls in tea-length dresses should look beautiful.
    imageimage
  • Options
    girllennongirllennon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As long as the dress fits the venue and is tasteful, there shouldn't be a problem. Some priests and parishes can have some guidelines as to what they would allow, but you can ask you priest if there's a "dress code" per se.
    Joseph Michael - 12/22/2010
    5lbs 9 oz, 18.5 inches long
    6 months: 16lbs 15 oz, 27 inches long

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    missmis99missmis99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FYI---my church has a "dress code" that says no strapless dress for me or my bridesmaids. I was also in a wedding last year at another church that had the same rule. I think the churches around me are tightening their rules rather than loosening them. However, regarding style is still lose. It is more of a modesty issue.
    my read shelf:
    Robin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards