October 2012 Weddings
Options

Land of the sane people

let's talk about wrap around labels. The kit I bought has them and therefore they match the invitation. Do I A) destroy the envelopes with my horrendous writing in blue or black pen (thought the invites are ivory and brown) or b) print them and breach etiquette?
October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
PIC_281copy1 Anniversary

Re: Land of the sane people

• Options
    I think it's normal to be stressing about someone not wanting to order her dress when you're short on time.  It sounds like you've really been trying to be reasonable, letting her pick another dress, etc.  
    If I were you I would suck it up and offer to pay the extra $40 even though obviously she's the one being unreasonable and not you.  If you really can't afford to pay it, I would tell her you're so sorry that she's being charged extra, and that you really tried to make it as inexpensive as possible.  Then I would say if being a bridesmaid is too expensive I understand and would be happy to have her just as a guest if she would prefer.
    I don't know what wrap around labels are but it sounds like the labels for your invitations.  I don't think printing them is a breach of etiquette (thank-you-notes are supposed to be handwritten, but I haven't heard of a rule regarding envelopes) so that's probably what I would do.  If you don't want to print them, you can get brown pens at Michaels or any other craft store.  Also, if FI has better handwriting than you, maybe he could help write them or you could even look into hiring a calligrapher for this.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    wrap around labels? what on earth are those?

FWIW, we just printed our envelopes. Less hassle, looks nicer, no one will notice the difference anyways.
  • Options
    I will be printing on my envelopes, I would go for it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_land-of-the-sane-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:b20b5f55-0e69-4421-8e12-12570c7a18caPost:8c382d87-af46-4a63-a7ab-f8e27146d914">Re: Land of the sane people</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>wrap around labels? what on earth are those? </strong>FWIW, we just printed our envelopes. Less hassle, looks nicer, no one will notice the difference anyways.
    Posted by DeannaCW[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div><<a href="http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://ruffledmedia.ruffled.netdna-cdn.com/Images/posts/Templates/wrap-around-label-template.jpg%3Fb03aa7&imgrefurl=http://ruffledblog.com/freebie-fridays-wrap-around-labels/&h=350&w=500&sz=52&tbnid=D8WWmQeEn40AVM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=129&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwrap-around%2Blabels%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=wrap-around+labels&docid=qscasBjpMBaZiM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=tBJ3T4GVL6bd0QHGpameDQ&ved=0CEAQ9QEwAA&dur=753" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">clicky</a>>  It's basically a mailing label...and if you creep the etiquette or invite board they tend to get frowned upon</div>
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_land-of-the-sane-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:b20b5f55-0e69-4421-8e12-12570c7a18caPost:03827481-cf9c-4203-bf4a-5d46659a00ef">Re: Land of the sane people (long sorry)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's normal to be stressing about someone not wanting to order her dress when you're short on time.  It sounds like you've really been trying to be reasonable, letting her pick another dress, etc.   If I were you I would suck it up and offer to pay the extra $40 even though obviously she's the one being unreasonable and not you.  If you really can't afford to pay it, I would tell her you're so sorry that she's being charged extra, and that you really tried to make it as inexpensive as possible.  <strong>Then I would say if being a bridesmaid is too expensive I understand and would be happy to have her just as a guest if she would prefer.</strong> 
    Posted by lenergyrlah[/QUOTE]
    I agree with most of this answer except the bolded part.  You don't want to suggest anything that could be taken as "firing your bridesmaid" and this kind of does.  I like the suggestion of offering to help with the extra $40 but know that might not be possible.  As stressful as its going to be, the only thing you can do is make sure she (and the other girls) knows the last possible day to order and then leave it be.  If she doesn't get the dress then she has taken herself out of the wedding party.  <div>    Does it suck? Absolutely.  I'm assuming you have (gently) reminded her that she did pick the dress out so it sounds like she at least likes it. Is it a dress that she could possbily wear again? If so then at least she'll know that it will fit her perfectly unlike dresses off the rack at a dept store.  HTH</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I don't see a problem with printing directly on the envelope. That's what we're doing. I don't have nice script handwriting, so letting the printer do the work looks much better. I wasn't going to pay for a calligrapher, just not in the budget. I think that using label stickers looks cheesy. I think the wrap arounds look much better than sticky labels.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sorry, I hit post before I was done. The wrap around labels are nicer than regular sticky labels, but I like the more formal look of printing directly on the envelope.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Technically yes, lables are against etiquette.  But I tend to think its one of the more minor rules.  You aren't really going to hurt someone's feelings buy using the wrap around lables.  Some consider them tacky but (depending on your handwriting) it can be better than writing them yourself.  You do want to make sure the post office can read the address well enough to be able to deliver.  They are better than just regular stick on lables so go ahead and use them.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm sorry but some of the rudest comments I've seen on this website were made by regulars of the etiquette board.  I don't even read it anymore because for a bunch of women trying to make everyone follow proper etiquette, they sure don't when it comes to how to speak to people.

That being said, I don't see the big deal with printing right on the envelope, using regular labels or wrap around labels.  It's the envelope.  It gets thrown out.  There are far better things to invest the money on than a fancy calligrapher.  I think any option is fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

258 invitedimage
    182 can't wait to partyimage
    76 are missing all the funimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards