Oregon

Slow

This board is slow. Let's jazz it up. Are you originally from here? If not, where are you from? Where is FI/husband from? What do you like most about Portland? What is your job and do you like it? If you were given $1000 tomorrow, what would you do with it?

Re: Slow

• edited December 2011
    Hello!I agree, time to jazz it up.I was born and raised in Grants Pass, OR. . . went to college and lived in Portland for several years before going to Colorado for grad school. . . now back in Oregon and worknig as an Occupational Therapist-I love my job!  My fiance was born in Seattle, raised in Portland. . . we met in undergrad in Portland and he is currently a law student at Willamette.$1000 tomorrow would definitely go toward a vacation!I'll be making another trip up toward Mt Hood on Saturday seeking an inexpensive reception venue to follow our ceremony at Wildwood Recreation Site in Welches. . . we are covering all ends of the spectrum by going to the Resort at the Mountain, but also the Mt Hood Lions Club (big cheap space to rent) and a community room at the golf course. . .
  • edited December 2011
    I should also post my answers :-) I am practically originally from here. I have lived in the Portland area since I was 6. FI is from Salem, so not too far! I like that Portland is not that big and is so central to everything... mountains, beach, central Oregon, Seattle, not far from Canada, etc. I'm an Admin Assistant. I like everything except for answering the phone and dealing with not so smart people (the ones that call in). I'm a saver so I'd probably save the $1000. Or maybe throw it in the honeymoon fund :-)
  • edited December 2011
    Good polio!Are you originally from here? If not, where are you from? I am a native Portlander.Where is FI/husband from? He's from Indiana and moved here about 8 years ago.  And he's better at correctly naming the local mountains than I am.What do you like most about Portland? Food carts.  The laid back attitude.  Eco-consciousness.  No sales tax!What is your job and do you like it? I'm a database administrator.  It's not as awesome as being paid to encourage people to poop in Times Square ([url]http://www.charmin.com/en_US/enjoy-the-go/index.php[/url]), but it pays the bills.If you were given $1000 tomorrow, what would you do with it? I'd buy myself a couple dresses from [url]shabbyapple.com[/url] and put the rest in savings.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • Mrs.FelicityMrs.Felicity member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Eh.Are you originally from here? If not, where are you from? Yes, born & raised in the Willamette Valley.Where is FI/husband from? He was born & raised in Portland.What do you like most about Portland? The weather, the people, the trees.What is your job and do you like it? I'm a in-house accountant and a large corp. and I like it OK.  I'm not solving world hunger or anything but it pays the bills.If you were given $1000 tomorrow, what would you do with it? Right now I'd probably give it to the food bank.
  • IALIAL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you originally from here? If not, where are you from? Native Portlander, and proud of it! Where is FI/husband from? He's a native Portlander as well! What do you like most about Portland? I love the laid back attitude. I love that I can be at the beach, at the mountain, or at the desert all in the same day. I love that Portland has created its own unique personality and I hope I never have to move away! What is your job and do you like it? Currently a grad student getting my masters in social work! Previously, I worked in a residential treatment center with adolescents. If you were given $1000 tomorrow, what would you do with it? Split it between student loans (FI is a law student, we have student loans through the roof) and the non-existent honeymoon fund I want to start!
  • edited December 2011
    I like the idea of Jazzing up this board....good idea jennyleeAre you originally from here? If not, where are you from? I was born in Santa Cruz Cali but moved here when I was 3 so Portland is home for me.Where is FI/husband from? He is from the Clackamas area specifically Carver, but most people don't know where the heck that is.What do you like most about Portland? I love the atmosphere, the outdoor activities, the dive bars and that other people think it is a weird place because I am weird and I like it that way :)What is your job and do you like it? I am a student at WOU getting my teaching license so that I can teach 5th or 6th grade and I absolutely love it. I know most people think that middle schoolers are scary but I happen to enjoy them and am so excited to get through this teaching program and get in the classroom.If you were given $1000 tomorrow, what would you do with it?Probably put it into savings so that I didn't spend it impulsivley.
  • edited December 2011
    Are you originally from here? If not, where are you from? Grew up near St. Louis and migrated west after college Where is FI/husband from? native Portlander What do you like most about Portland? the lifestyle, the coffee, and St Cupcake What is your job and do you like it? I'm a corporate nanny. I'm good at it and it pays well, so I've got nothing to complain about (even though I do anyway). I also play with flowers on the down-low. If you were given $1000 tomorrow, what would you do with it? Put it in the bank to go towards a new laptop
  • summerslaosummerslao member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good Post! I'm orginally from here, well Salem anyway.  Where we still currently live but are hoping to move up to the Beaverton area within 2 years, depending on the job market.  My FI is originally from Montana, moved to Clackamas when he was 8 and settled in Beaverton as an adult.  Moved down to Salem in 2006, the best move he ever made!  I love the Portland area for so many reasons.  There's always something to do.  It's close to everything.  But mostly all our great family and friends are in the area.  I'm an admin asst too.  I like it most of the time, except ditto on answering the phone calls of stupid people.  I have great boss though and most of my coworkers are great.  If I was given $1000 tomorrow it would go towards our venue.  Boring but true. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Are you originally from here? If not, where are you from? native OregonianWhere is FI/husband from? born in California, raised in OregonWhat do you like most about Portland? I don't live in Portland :P but I like the SHOPPING when I go hahahaWhat is your job and do you like it? I'm a paralegal, love it.If you were given $1000 tomorrow, what would you do with it?Put it towards the new truck we're buying soon.
    My little loves
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I agree, this board gets me bored sometimes! Portlanders are supposed to be quirky right? I am from Portland and so is my FI. We actually both went to the same high school but didn't meet until after college. I love so much about Portland! The people, weather, culture, food, beer, wine, etc... I am going to school to get my Masters right now If I received $1000 tomorrow I would use it towards a honeymoon since we can't afford one right now. (the pp about giving it to a food bank makes me feel a little guilty though!)
  • edited December 2011
    Are you originally from here? If not, where are you from? Native Portlander. Wilsonville techincally.Where is FI/husband from? also native wilsonville.What do you like most about Portland? I love that i can go to a big city and all that that offers, but stay in the subburbs.What is your job and do you like it? Dog trainer and I love it!  sadly, it does not pay the bills...If you were given $1000 tomorrow, what would you do with it?Pay the bills. lol
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you originally from here? If not, where are you from? ---Born and raised in Milwaukie, just south of PortlandWhere is FI/husband from? ---Also born and raised in Milwaukie, but on "the other side" from me.  Coincidentally (ok not really, we did it on purpose) we live on the very north end of Milwaukie.What do you like most about Portland? ---So many choices!  Being 90min from the beach, 90 min from the mountain....the awesome events/activities that go on around town...the food...the people...just the overall general vibe.What is your job and do you like it? ---I teach theatre at a "dangerous" middle school.  If you watch the news or read the paper, you now know where I teach.  I absolutely love my job, though it is demanding and exhausting.If you were given $1000 tomorrow, what would you do with it? ---Either go shopping (shoes, clothes, handbags) or spend it on stuff for the house (paint, builtins, mantle, etc)
  • schatzibotschatzibot member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm from Honolulu, but spent summers here starting at 3, then my mom and I moved to the Mainland when I was sixteen. I've lived all over PDX (except NW), and also have lived in Dundee, Tigard, Tualatin, and the Tron. We're currently in Mount Scott.My fiance is from Tennessee, right near Nashville. In high school, he moved to Seattle with his mom, then lived in Spokane for a few years, and moved to PDX about three years ago.There's a lot I like about it here. I like the weather, how mild it usually is (I spent two years in Iowa, ugh!), and I like how green it is. The people are pretty nice, and we've got a lot of city life without being too big. And I love easy access to the Coast and mountains.I've been a fulltime student, but I'm just now being graduated. I still have my crappy guest relations job in hospitality, but I need to start looking for something a little more, uh, fulfilling and financially rewarding.$1k would go straight to the wedding fund, paying off the venue. We're doing things on the cheap, but that would make such a massive difference!
  • lindseroolindseroo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you originally from here? If not, where are you from? I'm originally from Albany, OR...still there!  I moved to Missoula for a few months but I missed the Willamette Valley too much!  (Oh, & I missed my fiance=))Where is FI/husband from?He's also from Albany!  Pretty cool. What do you like most about Portland? I like that I don't live in Portland!  But I like all that it has to offer & that it's so close to my nice small town!What is your job and do you like it? I'm a student, so I clearly don't like my job.If you were given $1000 tomorrow, what would you do with it? I would pay off my credit card!  Yeeeah!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I keep you with me in my heart, you make it easier when life gets hard.
  • neal21neal21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you originally from here? If not, where are you from? -I'm originally from Savannah, Georgia.  After graduating from college I lived in Massachusetts for 4 years before moving to Corvallis last year for graduate school.Where is FI/husband from? -He's from Vermont.  We met while we were both living in Massachusetts.What do you like most about Portland? -I haven't spent much time in Portland, but I've eaten at some cool restaurants.  As for Oregon, I love how you can drive a little and experience a different dramatic landscape.   The mountains and the coast are amazing.What is your job and do you like it? -I'm a grad student and lab rat.  I like it most of the time, but it's stressful sometimes.  Basically, I get paid to go to school and do research - it's a pretty great deal actually.If you were given $1000 tomorrow, what would you do with it?-Put it in savings.  Hopefully to be used for a vacation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards