Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Budget :)

Well... we finally had it! The dreaded budget talk. No fun. My FI seems to think that a reasonable budget is 15,000. Is that even possible and in down town Mpls??!!! Not sure if Im way off but I thought average was 20,000? What have you heard?

Re: Budget :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that is quite reasonable. Our's is 10,000 (with a bit of wiggle room).  Our first budget saving cost was deciding to get married on a Sunday.  We are getting married at the Wabasha Street Caves.  We also hired a caterer that does not have a minimum. I think 15,000 is great.  Where are you planning on getting married?
  • Options
    archie08archie08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We will be getting married on 12/31/10. At Mount Olivet in minneapolis and at the Depot. I cant wait!
  • Options
    LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Isn't the minimum at the Dept just a *smidge* more than $15k??? It's definitely possible, but I'm not sure based on your venues. You can definitely have a wedding in the Twin Cities with that budget, for sure.
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The fact that you are getting married in the winter (off season wedding month) will save you a ton of money! $15,000 is a good budget especially for that time of year. Our budget is $12,000 with a Sunday wedding. Make sure to ask vendors about seasonal prices!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think thats a decent budget-definately doable! How many guests are you expecting?? We are expecting around 200 guests and our budget is $18000 (Friday wedding)
  • Options
    hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very duable, especially if your guest list isn't huge. That'll be your biggest money gobbler.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That depends on your guest list - if you're expecting 200 people, then no, $15K not a reasonable budget. (I am basing this on the Depot's F&B mins.)Your food & beverage cost at your reception will probably be about 50% of your budget - the best way to gauge is to look at the proposal from the Depot, and double that amount for your total budget.You can definitely cut costs here and there, but cutting the guest list is where you'll see the biggest savings.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My budget is $15000 for the Wabasha Street caves on a Saturday night with 100 people. It's also on April 10th, which is still considered off season for weddings and we are doing DIY for things such as invitations and centerpieces.
  • Options
    NuggetBrainNuggetBrain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our budget was 15k for 130 people on a Friday in May. It's now up to 18k, but that's including a lot of stuff we really don't need, like ceiling lights and lanterns, a photo booth, charger plates, a late night snack at the reception, etc. 15k is definately doable, but I'm not sure if it is doable at the Depot.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    drdifabiodrdifabio member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our budget is 15k and what I have found is that if you have a smaller budget, it just may take more time to find the right vendor that is inexpensive but not cheap looking - definitely doable, just might take more time on your side. But if your wedding isnt until then end of 2010 you prolly have time.
  • Options
    rosebc118rosebc118 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay for the Depot!!! We are having our reception there too and Im absolutely in love :) I do question the cost though, maybe they lower the price a lot in the winter but I know the min. in Sept is definitely over $15k... Like everyone else said, the less people you have there the closer you can stay to your minimum... thats what Im planning on doing! The depot is beautiful so luckily you wont have to do much for decorations, so that will help!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with drd... you can keep it down but you need to be really careful of other expenses and who you choose as vendors. We have an average budget, but If I wasn't being super careful about expenses I would waay over budget!
  • Options
    linds&cooplinds&coop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow.we are on a tight budget I guess....paying for 95% on our own I would say.Our guest list is 150-175, but that also includes kids (which will be cheaper for food)I think it's very doable, but you have to look around, and be willing to compromise.  If you're set on a certain place at a certain time, with no room to consider alternatives......that's when it will get "uncomfortable"
  • Options
    zephyr_mariezephyr_marie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ha ha, well, we're planning on spending $3,000-$4,000 max, so if we can do it, I'm sure that you can have an amazing wedding for $15,000. :)
  • Options
    jaramlerjaramler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm think most people above already covered this.  But I don't think it would be possible to do the Depot with your entire budget being $15,000.  If your reception budget was $15,000 you might be fine.  Like everyone said, your reception costs are at least 50% of your total budget, so you would have to keep your Depot costs for sure under $8,000.  I don't think that is possible based on their minimums.  And I'm pretty sure their meals start at $60 something a person (plus services fees, taxes, etc) so that would be a really small guest list for a substantial venue.I am having a winter wedding and I called them to get prices at the beginning of this year.  Their winter prices & minimums weren't that cheap.I'm hoping you already knew all this before you booked it though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards