Texas-Austin

Best stores for Mother of the Bride dresses?

Where all did your moms or future mother in laws shop for and find their dress to wear to your wedding?  My mom is stressing over finding a dress and wants me to go with her to find one.  Since I'm stressing over all the other wedding details, I want to make the process as efficient as possible and hit all the stores with the best selections and variety first.  Where do you ladies recommend we go?

Re: Best stores for Mother of the Bride dresses?

• edited December 2011
    Since the wedding isn't super-formal, I set up a personal shopping appointment for my mom at nordstrom and set forward the following requirements: -Preferably knee-length -Nothing white or black -Nothing too revealing I am really happy with what they came up with (for under $200, too). It's not too cookie-cutter or matronly. Plus, working with a personal shopper is FREE!
    planning bio
    "My favorite color is fluorescent beige."
  • AggieDanerAggieDaner member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I sent my mom out with her girlfriends and told them not to let her go until they found her something she felt gorgeous in. They rose to the challenge and spent all day at La Cantera (they live in San Antonio) and I'm pretty sure she finally found her dress at Macy's. There should be good selection at department stores right now since the holidays are coming up. Good luck!!! :-)
  • edited December 2011
    My mom and I looked at a bunch of bridal stores but everything was so matronly. The ceremony is outdoors in May so I didn't want anything floor length for her. She is also a hot 46 year old (lol), 5'3" tall and a size 2 so it was difficult to find something that fit her. We ultimately found the perfect dress at Macy's. There were some contenders at Nordstrom, too. I have a picture of her dress in my blog I think.
  • edited December 2011
    MIL found hers at Macy's (I know the one at the Domain has a pretty nice selection, and I'm sure Barton Creek does as well), and my mom found hers at Signature Bridal Salon in Bee Cave during a Jasmine Bridal trunk show. Melba's has a decent selection as well. I like the personal shopping at Nordstrom idea. I had no idea you could do that! Very cool. Dillard's and Saks probably have nice selection as well, but I personally didn't go there. GL!
    Liz & David | 10/23/09
    Planning Bio

• MnMShawMnMShaw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My MIL found something at JC Pennys and My mom found something at Dillards.
    Blog
    TTC #1 since February 2011
    BFP #1 1/14/12 EDD 9/24/12 m/c at 8w4d on 2/20/12
    March 2012- Dx with PCOS, started metformin
    July 2012- SA completely normal
  • lynnyrd80lynnyrd80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both my stepmom and my MIL found their dresses at Alfred Angelo which has a really good selection of mostly seperates that can be ordered in a ton of different colors.  My mom and I shopped in Houston (where she lives) and lucked out there because there is a store on 1960 called T Carolyn's that is all mother of the bride/groom dresses.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cstrattontxcstrattontx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Nordstroms, my mom found an really great dress there. She lives in Rhode Island but was able to try it on during her recent visit to Austin. The Norstroms off rack is now open too up the Whole Foods up north. There was a pretty good selection. We didn't have much luck at bridal stores only becuase we are having an informal wedding and everything was too old or formal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards