Texas-Austin
Options

venue suggestions

hey ladies, Hoping for some suggestions on venues in central Austin.  My fiance and I live in Minneapolis so most of our guests will be flying into Austin.  I would like to avoid the typical hotel ballroom wedding.  Anticipaing about 200 guests...any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: venue suggestions

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm in a similar situation. I live in NY, but I'm getting married in Austin. I booked Vintage Villas because it is an absolutely gorgeous venue that is also reasonably priced. It has a stunning view of Lake Travis and they're a full-service facility... they provide in-house catering, linens and chairs. HTH!
    planning bio
    "My favorite color is fluorescent beige."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am also getting married at Vintage Villas. They have seriously been a pleasure to work with thus far. The price is all inclusive so it really narrows down how many vendors you need to worry about on your day. The price is substantially lower if you get married during their off season. I am 100% happy with my choice! :) Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance wanted the same thing as you - non-ballroom for about 200 guests.  We looked at Allan House, but thought it was a little too small for 200 guests.  Another option we looked at is Mansion on Judges Hill...but we thought this might be a little too small as well.  We ended up booking One World Theatre, which isn't too far from downtown Austin, but it's definitely not considered "central."  Check out the new AT&T exec center...I heard it's beautiful.  Or the UT Alumni center - has a good indoor/outdoor feel. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Star hill ranch! it's in bee caves. the owner, adam, is awesome to work with and there's a couple of different buildings to choose from. it's got a really great rustic chic feel to it. i don't think the pictures on the website do it justice. it's a little less than 30 mins from outside of austin. sounds like a far drive, but it really isn't. it's a really easy drive.
  • Options
    may2005may2005 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Were you looking for a site for both wedding & reception or reception only?I was married at the Caswell House which can handle up to 200 guests for a stand-up reception.  (The house is 2-story, with smaller rooms on the first floor but a large reception room, bride's room & bathrooms upstairs.)However, the upstairs reception room where most people have their ceremonies, can't hold that many at one time though.  For 200 people, it would work for a reception only.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're doing the LBJ Wildflower Center. We were looking for an outdoor option with a good rain plan (they have a really pretty room filled with windows.) I love it because we barely have to decorate since it's so pretty. You do have to keep in mind that it's open to the public until early evening, so timing is a bit tricky. Still totally worth it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our reception (and ceremony) will take place at the Texas Women's Federation Headquarters, which is a historical building.  It's an absolutely beautiful ballroom and one of the largest in central Texas.  www.themansion.info  The general building is decorated like a home, so it's interesting for your guests as well as just a beautiful place.   
  • Options
    sarainaustinsarainaustin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want to avoid the ballroom thing, then Vintage Villa's is totally the place!  They have several different rooms and can actually handle a large reception for 200 (unlike some of the older houses in downtown Austin like the Allen House and Vintage Villas... they are both very nice, but they don't comfortably fit that many people.)  However, I would highly recommend The Bob Bullock Museum.  They have a grand foyer that is absolutely stunning! They are surprisingly affordable (comparable to other wedding venues in Austin) and don't have a ton of vendor restrictions.  It's a little "ball-roomy" but then again, it's not.. it's a huge foyer with a grand stairwell and all.  My friends had their wedding there and if we weren't on such a strict budget, I would totally get married there myself.
  • Options
    Rushmi_JasonRushmi_Jason member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our guestlist is in the 200-250, and we looked at a lot of different places, before deciding on Villa St. Clair. It is located right in Austin, close to the airport too, and it seems that they have arrangements with a couple of area hotels for shuttle service. The villa is beautiful inside, and it also has an outdoor area in the back that's very nice for ceremonies. The owner Kim has years of event-planning experience, and seems to be very helpful, resourceful and professional. We have just started working with her, but i get a good vibe from her, and we have booked the venue for may 29th. I think thant Villa is a great choice for the services they offer in their price. I can definitely give you an update as we continue working with the Villa, but I would defnitely suggest it as a place that's already beautiful, in Austin, has professionals in-house (flowers, catering, coordinating), where you can seat everyone together, and at a decent price! A couple of the other competeign venues we considered were Terrace Club (South South Austin), Hamilton Twelve (Southwest Austin - outside the city, but I am not sure if they can actually handle 200+ ppl, even though they claimed to)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This was so helpful!  Thanks.  We are going to look at these venues in two weeks, so I'm sure I'll come back with loads of questions.  Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards