Canada-Ontario

Flowers...

Hi ladies, I apoligize if this has been posted already.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Toronto flower shop?  I am just starting to set up consultations.  I realize that flowers are super expensive but I want a real simple bouquet with minimal flowers and the first place I got a consultation was asking $$$ for it.  Not quite what I expected for such a simple bouquet. 

I'd be willing to use a junior florist or someone that works from home if anybody has any contacts.

Btw, has anyone considered doing their own boutonierres or centerpieces?

Re: Flowers...

• edited December 2011
    My best friend made her own boquets with flowers she bought at Whole Foods in Yorkville. They looked beautiful and were very simple and elegant. Putting together your own bouquet might be a bit overwhelming, I would get help from friends and family and have them do it for you (with your supervision of course). My friends only regret was just that, she said if she paid a bit more money she could have had someone do them for her. Also - florists are trained professionals they know what looks good and what doesn't. If you have specific flowers you want to use you'll have to keep in mind they might not be in season when you get married. For this reason, Florists will have to ship your flowers in from different cities or countries - that's why prices may fluctuate. Locally grown flowers are best to work with. The flower shop that's doing my flowers and table arrangements for my wedding is called The Flower Room. They are in Bloor West Villiage. The owner's name is Helen, she's very sweet. Hope this helps you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, my brother's GF did the bouquets, corsages & bouts for my wedding, and I also helped her do the flowers for another wedding. I'd strongly recommend against it, unless you are already really good at it, or have lots of help.

There are lots of issues. You have to do it the day before the wedding so that they stay as fresh as possible - and believe me, flowers are the last thing you want to be dealing with the day before the wedding. You need lots of space (and buckets) to store the raw flowers, and more space to prep the flowers (strip all leaves and thorns, etc). Then you need to clear out your fridge to store all the bouquets overnight. Not to mention that you need to account for the cost of supplies - wire, elastics, ribbon, pins, floral tape - as well as the flowers themselves.

Anyway, for all of these reasons, I'd say that paying a premium for someone else to do it is worth every penny. My brother's GF was kind enough to do it all for me so that I didn't have to deal with it, but she doesn't do wedding flowers anymore because it's too much hassle.

Doing bouts alone is possible, but if you order bouquets and corsages from a florist, they probably won't charge you that much for the bouts.

Doing centrepieces yourself isn't a bad idea, but prepared to spend a few hours at the venue the day before your wedding. I had the simplest CPs and I think even those took 2-3 hours to set up. Luckily, my venue gave me access the day before, but not all venues allow this. (Hart House, for example, only allows access the day of the wedding.)

I got a pretty reasonable quote from Flowers on Bay, and the owner was really nice. If it's a small job, ask about paying in cash.
    http://www.flowersonbay.com/
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    thanks!
    i'm definately not brave enough to make my own bouquets.  but i am considering at least the centerpieces.  my venue is nice on its own so i don't want to do too much decor anyway.  if we go with floral CP over candles/lantern type thing, then it'll be simple...just a vase and single flower or plant of some sort. 
  • wkjtwkjt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Petals located at Woodbine and 16th in Markham (sorry, they don't have a website).   Rosalyn is great if you are looking for simple floral arrangements.  Her flowers are really fresh (I got married on Saturday and the bouquets are still going strong) and her prices are extremely reasonable.

If you want more details, you can email me at wk.jt.wedding@gmail.com.
  • Stephk08Stephk08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I made our own centrepieces, without flowers.  It was more work, but MUCH less expensive than getting floral centrepieces.  If you have the time, patience and some helping hands I would recommend it!

For the bouquets, etc. I agree with ring_pop that it's worth the money to leave those ones to the pros.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards