Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Vendor bashing...

Horror stories?I know I heard of before someone bashing a vendor on here and the knot got sued or the knottie who posted it got sued. Can someone jog my memory here? OR another negative outcome to vendor bashing?

Re: Vendor bashing...

• Options
    I don't know, but I don't really get it. I don't see why helping other brides by sharing a bad experience is so tabu. I was generally thankful when people shared.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I heard of someone bashing her vendor and then the vendor asking her to take the post down.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    I think the potential for that to happen is probably the root of the rules concerning vendor reviews.  As in, you can only post factual reviews (she was late) not judgemental reviews (she didn't care about my wedding so she came 30 minutes late).  I haven't heard any actual stories on the knot of it happening, though.  (Someone getting sued over a review, that is.)
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    I've heard the same thing.  But do not recall anything specific. I think a vendor review on the local level is helpful.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Yeah, we've had some borderline reviews on my locals.  Knotties who crossed the line have typically been asked to repost just the facts.  We've definitely got some negative reviews up, though.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Vendors pay a lot of money to advertise on the knot. The knot cares a lot more about making money than it does about anyone's wedding. Thus, they don't want any bad reviews ticking off the vendors that are paying knotmonkeytard's salary.
  • Options
    CS, the vendor should send their rebuttal to Knot Annie & she or the mod can post it on the vendor's behalf, but vendors aren't allowed to post as themselves at all.  That's grounds for banning.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    A girl on my local board called her dj "cheap" while she was making a recommendation instead of "inexpensive" so he canceled on her.  She mentioned it to her DOC who found somebody willing to do it for free.  Must be nice!
  • Options
    You are allowed to post negative reviews of vendors as long as you're stating the facts and not making any defamatory comments.  If the vendor wants to make a rebuttal to the post, they have to email Annie and go through her.  Then, Annie will post the response in the thread.
  • Options
    weddingwire.com gives you a great way to say what you really feel about the vendor without worry of "getting sued", I chose and UN-chose a lot of vendors by looking at that site.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've heard of vendors backing out on contracts if a poor review is posted before the wedding.I think the knot doens't like it because some of these vendors pay to advertise on the knot.  If the vendor is a paying customer, the last thing the knot wants is bad publicity for their customer.  If the vendor is not paying for ad space on the knot, a review gets their name out there, whether good or bad, so it's basically free advertising for them.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Vendors pay a lot of money to advertise on the knot. The knot cares a lot more about making money than it does about anyone's wedding.^ this.If you're complaining about your vendor before your wedding, then I think it would be a blessing if they canceled on you, and I'm not sure why you wouldn't do it first.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Yea, I'm not sure why you would complain about a vendor before your wedding.
  • Options
    One of the girls on my club board was complaining that her photographer didn't respond to an email in a timely manner.  It had only been like 2 days, and we were 10 months out.  The photographer backed out because he could tell she was going to be overbearing the whole way through the process.  I can't say I blame him.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I am another advocate for weddingwire.com. Vendors can also flag a review, but then you supply evidence that you were in fact a customer (a scan of the contract) and your review is back up for other brides to see.
  • Options
    I've seen it a few times where someone posts a rather emotional review of a vendor and the vendor opts to sue for slander.I think this happened to someone on my local a few years ago and I don't know the specifics but I do know she wasn't allowed to discuss the vendors from her wedding once she was notified.The bottom line is that if you're going to post, it makes zero sense to post with emotion.  Post the facts that can't be debated.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards