Texas-Houston

Venue Opinions On......

The Gallery, The Grove & Crystal Ballroom at the Rice?  What do you guys think of any of those?

Thanks!

Re: Venue Opinions On......

• monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I haven't looked much into the Gallery, other than pictures.  I'm not a fan of the interior set-up, but I think the outdoor spaces are gorgeous.

I love the Grove from pictures, and love the setting of Discovery Green.  But I haven't actually toured it yet.  To have a dance floor and a seated dinner, you can only have 80 people, which will be fine for us if we pick it.

The prices seem reasonable, but I'm not sure if there are extra hidden costs besides just food/drink.  I'm only in the beginning of planning, so I haven't contacted them yet, but my fiance and I are keeping them at the top of our list.

I think Crystal Ballroom is GORGEOUS.  I LOVE the little balcony overlooking the street.  The Grove has a balcony too, which I love, but it's not as nice as Crystal's.  Crystal's prices are reasonable EXCEPT the Food/Drink minimum for Saturday weddings.  I don't know if yours is Saturday or not, but the F/D min is $10k, plus a $6,500 rental fee.  It's MUCH cheaper on Fridays and weekdays.  

I'm crossing the ballroom off my list b/c that's way too much for me.  But if you have a smaller wedding, it's possible to fit it in the Rice's other rooms, the Empire room (which holds around 100 for seated dinner) or the Sambuca restaurant (which holds around 60).  I think there's no F/D min and the rental fee is much cheaper.

Also, I've heard really good things on Crystal's event coordinator, Jamie.  And I could email you the info they just gave me (all their prices, policies, menus).  

If money is not a big problem, I'd pick Crystal Ballroom.  But I think all 3 could be nice.  Just my personal view.

SaveSave
  • sklink0486sklink0486 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know about the other venues, but I would have my reception at the Crystal Ballroom at the Rice if I could because the freaking terrace is gorgeous!! I am soo jealous of those people when I see an event going on there!
    Planning Bio

Our wedding date is November 12, 2011

110 invited 86 accepted! 20 can't make it 4 haven't responded yet
    RSVP Date October 12th, 2011

• edited December 2011
    Depends on what you're looking for, I prefer dance floor in middle and a decent size at that too, Crystal Ballrooms dance floor isn't in center and it's not that big.
    TTC Jan 2011, me: 30, DH 32. Unexplained IF. Aug 2012- Bravelle/Ovidrel, IUI 08/21, IUI 08/22= BFN. Feb 2013: Bravelle/Ovidrel, IUI 02/20, IUI 02/21= BFN.
  • camillebreauxcamillebreaux member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the Grove. I would have loved to have my reception there but it wasn't big enough and I figured there would be additional costs. But the location really sets a great, fun, urban mood.

I've been to a wedding at the Gallery. I have to say that driving up to the venue, I thought it looked a little shabby. Once we walked on the grounds and went inside I thought it was cool. It's so spacious and there are many areas to work with. The couple took photos outside after the wedding while the dining area was being set up and the guests were able to mingle upstairs over cocktails and hors d'oeuvres.
  • edited December 2011
    I got married at the crystal ballroom 5.28.11..it is pricey you're looking at atleast 20k  for rental,food and bev...then everything else on top of that! with that said, ITS TOTALLY WORTH IT! The food, ambiance, staff...everything is amazing and so classy. There really is no venue in houston like it! The history behind it and the gorgeous decor of the room! Jamie was amazing..and Sambuca does amazing catering. I really can not say enough good things about it and the people there!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards