Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Is all-inclusive worth it?

Hi Ladies!  I thought I'd check with the TK experts (AKA you) on this question.  FI and I are considering going to Cancun for our HM.  I've been and loved it, FI hasn't yet. 

My question is: is all-inclusive really worth it?  The main reason why I'm asking is we came across quotes for pricing for Omni Cancun that reflects just the room vs. all-inclusive.  The cost difference: $170 per day.  Does anyone know how much it really costs to eat, say a lunch, for two people at one of the restaurants at a hotel/resort?  Is it really about $50+?  We plan on having a fair amount of meals at the place we'll be staying, but not ALL.  I figure probably about 2 meals per day since we do plan to go into Cancun, head to Chichen Itza, etc. so during our outings and excursions, we obviously won't be eating at the hotel.  TIA!
Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
Married 7/10/10
Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
Anniversary

Re: Is all-inclusive worth it?

• Options
    cancun has some amazing restaurants. for me the AI there wouldn't be worth it for food but yes for drinks. dh and i can run up quite a bar tab.
    the palace resorts include some excursions-sun palace and moon palace. if you can get good prices for the resorts it would certainly be worth it as the excursions can get pricey very quickly.

• Options
    I agree with PP. We went to Cancun 2 years ago and did an AI. For us food wouldn't have been too much of an issue but the drinks are what racks the price up. We went out to few clubs in the city and drinks were around $6-$10 each. We also really like the luxury of being able to get a drink anytime we want and not have to worry about carrying around a lot of cash or swiping our credit card. If you don't think drinks will be a probably then I think you would be fine without an AI.
  • Options
    DH and I really like AIs, for the same reason above.  That is also why we don't go on cruises.  The alcohol bill would be too much for us to handle.

There are some that don't like AIs because they don't feel they can get out and explore the town and restaurants/sites outside the resort.  We've never had this problem.  If we want to stay in the resort, we stay.  If we want to eat at a restaurant in town or visit some sights, we do that.  We've never felt trapped by the fact that we've already pre-paid our food/drinks.
  • Options
    Good points.  FI and I have to discuss what exactly it is we want to do and figure things out from there I guess.  Thanks for all the input! Smile
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    we only like AI's because we don't have to worry about going over our budget.  Just fine a top resort that has good food.  I have stayed at holiday inn's and the breakfasts were over priced...so I am sure an AI can benefit you!
  • Options
    I would never do an AI in Cancun.  There are just too many fun delicious places to go that I'd be annoyed stuck at the same resort night after night.

If you are big drinkers, it can be worth it.  If you are big foodies it's a waste of money b/c you may not be happy with the quality of food you get at an AI. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards