Military Brides

Homecoming Information Help

HI! I was hoping to get some advice from some of you who have gone through this before to know how I should best handle this.

Fiance is in the Marines and currently deployed but returning soon. I know the approximate dates to expect him back and I know that its the military and things are most likely going to change. Even so I still want to try to plan ahead somewhat so can be prepared as possible for whenever he does get back. I only have a basic understanding of persec and opsec mostly from what I have read lurking on this board and I am trying to make sure I am being careful of that.

My problem is knowing what amount of information is ok to disclose to like my work and since I'm still in college to my professors. I want to email my professors to let them know ahead of time when I am expecting to miss so hopefully they will be more understanding and so I can get a head start on any assignments that will be due. My problem is what is ok to say?

And this will be mine and his first experience of home coming so any tips or advice to help make everything go smoothly would be greatly appreciated.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Homecoming Information Help

• I don't know how to works in the Marines so someone school me if I'm incorrect.

But, if I were you, I'd let your professors and work know that you have a deployed fiance. I would tell them you are unable to give dates as it violates opsec but that you would really like to be able to go to his homecoming. (I wouldn't even give a month or anything.) I'd tell them you don't know when that is but it could happen on a school/work day and if so, would it be okay if you missed class/work that day. Then, the morning of, when you find out he has touched down or whatever, call your professor or work and let them know you will not be in class or coming in. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Will you need to go out of town for his homecoming? I only ask this because I don't think you'd need a whole lot of time off from both work/school if it was in the same town. 

I know some of the rules in the Navy but I think it may actually apply to USMC as well. Technically information can be disclosed 48 hours prior, so if this is enough time for you to talk to your professors and work then do it then. Do not email anyone, make appointments with your professors and bosses and discuss this with them in private. You can give them notice a few weeks ahead if you'd like and say your FI will be home "soon" and you'll be needing that time off. 

Actually, if you really want a straight answer, go to this page. 
    http://www.facebook.com/NavalOPSEC or email at opsec@navy.mil 

This is the FB page for OPSEC support for both the Navy and USMC. They will answer any questions on there in regards to OPSEC. The 48 hour rule can be found in their note as well. I've been to a meeting with these guys as the speaker and they are always at hand to answer questions. 
  • I'll piggy back Kara's answer that some subs in the Navy, including my husbands, cannot release information sooner than 24 hours. So if I were you, I'd ask around and see what the rule is for your fiance. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • H is in the Army so I am sure it is a little different. I actually just went through this a week ago. The FRG person actually sent us an email, text and recorded phone call through a program the Army has. I was notified about 24 hours in advance and then changes as they took place.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_homecoming-information-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:871781a9-774f-402d-8311-18f520a0a608Post:e0c5108f-13d2-49cd-a2b9-4cf9071f60f9">Re:Homecoming Information Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]H is in the Army so I am sure it is a little different. I actually just went through this a week ago. The FRG person actually sent us an email, text and recorded phone call through a program the Army has. I was notified about 24 hours in advance and then changes as they took place.
    Posted by crownsuperstar[/QUOTE]

<div>Crown brings up another good point. We aren't allowed to text or leave messages. We actually were just able to start using non land lines. I'd ask about this too. How will you get the message? I'm a phone tree caller and I can't leave anyone messages. </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • My answer is based on if you're traveling for homecoming. If not, just email the professor that you're missing that day. I'm assuming you're allowed to miss so many classes, so um, just skip? 
    If you are traveling, I would assume again that you would know within a few days. Go speak to your professor, indicate you will be missing a few days for personal reasons, and then ask for assistance with completing homework.

Also, I'm assuming you have a syllabus, so you will know what work is due and when, to a point. Use it. Show the professor that you're going to stay on top of things. 
  • Geeg- You were the assuming queen in that response. ;-) Makes sense though. 

I guess the reason I would tell why I won't be in class or at work is so that I could, maybe, get it as an excused absence. My professors always gave excused absences for important reasons instead of wasting a hang over day. :-)
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • True Hike, excused is better, but if it can't happen that way then it can't happen. I wouldn't mind skipping and lying about it haha.

Clearly, I was a model college student :) but I did keep my GPA up for my scholarship and thats all that mattered. 

Or you can freak the professor out and tel l him/heryou will be out of town for a time but you can't tell him why because the government won't let you. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_homecoming-information-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:871781a9-774f-402d-8311-18f520a0a608Post:20583c9e-c980-4ff5-b967-cc8345408e45">Re: Homecoming Information Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]True Hike, excused is better, but if it can't happen that way then it can't happen. I wouldn't mind skipping and lying about it haha. Clearly, I was a model college student :) but I did keep my GPA up for my scholarship and thats all that mattered.  <strong>Or you can freak the professor out and tel l him/heryou will be out of town for a time but you can't tell him why because the government won't let you. </strong>
    Posted by ggirl2001[/QUOTE]
    Haha yes! and maybe he or she will give out good grades because they are scared of her. :-)
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_homecoming-information-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:871781a9-774f-402d-8311-18f520a0a608Post:20583c9e-c980-4ff5-b967-cc8345408e45">Re: Homecoming Information Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]True Hike, excused is better, but if it can't happen that way then it can't happen. I wouldn't mind skipping and lying about it haha. Clearly, I was a model college student :) but I did keep my GPA up for my scholarship and thats all that mattered.  <strong>Or you can freak the professor out and tel l him/heryou will be out of town for a time but you can't tell him why because the government won't let you. 
    </strong>Posted by ggirl2001[/QUOTE]

I vote this.
  • Thanks for the advice! Yes I have to travel about 7 hours away for the homecoming and plan to stay there for a couple days. I should have mentioned that since that's why I want to talk to my professors ahead of time but school doesn't start for a while so I'm unable to talk to them in person. Most of the teachers already know the situation because he was their student also before this deployment and I know most will work with me however they can I just have to let them know so that they are able to help. For his unit the FRG posts the homecoming info on the family support website that he had to register me on so no phone calls or anything that I know of. The other thing that I didn't even think about before is I have a friend who lives near the base who has already said that I can come stay with her around the homecoming but since the only way I can talk to her is phone, text or emails I'm not really sure how to go about telling her when to expect that I'll be down there? Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it since its hard to get all this information from my fiancé and this being his first also doesn't really know.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would just tell your professors that your FI is deployed and you would likely be missing  afew days of class when he comes home.  When you are one on one with them you can give them a month idea, and then the class before you will miss you can tell them you will be out of town without again saying why.

As for your friend you're staying with, how close are you?  Do you have enough of a history that you could come up with ways to talk in code?  For example, if I had to tell my close friend from high school the dates I would be there, I could say it's the same month as when we went on a vacation together, and the date is the period we had English our senior year.  Or something like that.  But if it's a newer friend it could be hard.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I would suck at talking in code. I don't remember dates for shitt usually haha. 

• Just be vague with the friend - explain that you can't give any information online or on the phone directly related to the deployment.  So when you do call with dates, just be like, "Hey, I thought this day would be good for a visit... would that work?"  No mention of deployment.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards