California-Northern
Options

I need help!

I was born and raised in germany, but next year I am going to marry my handsome american men in california.
Most of my family and friends that are going to come from germany speak english (some more, some less), but my father does not speak english at all.
Now my problem is how is he going to understand anything during the weddding, and how can he give a speech?

please help me...I do not know what to do...any ideas?

Thank you.

Re: I need help!

• Options
    apple_greenapple_green member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe have two officiants, who take turns saying the parts in each language? Or even better, if you could find a bilingual officiant that would be great. It will be nice to incorporate both of your cultures. As for your father's speech, maybe he could give one, then someone who speaks English could speak immediately after.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely agree with PP.  My sister got married in Poland this past January and had the officiant do the ceremony in both English and Polish.  they thought of beautiful ways to include both heritages.. her H (polish) said his vows in English, my sister (american) said her vows in polish.. it was very special..they also has poems read in Hungarian (our heritage) and spanish (their common language). 

When the best man or MOH give speeches it is usually stories that no one else has a clue about so I think as long as your FI and you understand your dad then you will be fine.. 
    GL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    gotitanggotitang member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is no poblem at all. Since you have family that speak both lanugage they can translate for your foather. Mzke sure they are sitting next to him.
    As far as the speech goes let your father tell the speech and have the same relative translate in english!
    Believe me it will work out! Even if they don't understand anything they will love being there for you on this special day!
    My grandmother came all the way from germany to see me get married and didn't undeerstand a single word and it was just so specail she was there and got to see me happy! What a great gift!
    Work it out....it will be perfect!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards