• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
California-Los Angeles

Need your planning help for LA-area.

Hey Knotties,

We want to hear from you for the local mag. Getting married (or just married) in LA-area? Who are your favorite vendors you’ve worked with? Tell us why you love your florist, cake baker, photographer, the salon where you bought your dress or had it altered or even you limo driver! We want all the details for possible inclusion in the local magazine.

Post below, and thank you so much in advance!

Annie
Tweet? Me too! Have you checked out our My Real Wedding Gallery for ideas? Upload your photos here and be featured on The Knot!

Re: Need your planning help for LA-area.

• edited December 2011
    My favorite vendors were:

Photographer: Kristine Ambrose.
    We loved Kristine's artistic style. She had a way of framing shots that looked beautiful, yet natural. We also loved that she doesn't do exclusively weddings - she does band photography, family photos, and even has produced calendars for charity after trips to Central America. We thought this gave Kristine a really unique perspective. She was wonderful to work with - we clicked instantly. We've even recommended her to friends who are using her for their wedding this September!
    http://ambroseweddings.com/

Baker: Sugar Jones Bakery (Precious McCall, owner).
    We discovered Sugar Jones, a small start-up bakery, at a cupcake tasting even long before we were engaged. Hand down, she had the best cupcakes out of the field of competitors. My then-boyfriend (now husband) ordered one of her cakes for my birthday a few months later. I'm not usually a "cake person" but her work is SO moist, delicious, and flavorful. Not too sugary, either - just the right amount of sweet. We ordered a 3 tier cake in "blackberries and cream" flavor and "my special day" flavor, which included layers of white and chocolate cake with hazelnut mousse. Each layer had cream cheese frosting. Dessert was a huge hit at our wedding!
    http://www.sweetsugarjones.com/

Ceremony venue: The Church of the Hills, Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Hollywood Hills. Not everyone was sold on us getting married in a... cemetery. However, Forest Lawn (all locations) are such tasteful cemeteries with really pretty grounds. I heard that Ronald Reagan's first wedding was actually at one of the chapels at the Glendale location! The chapel was lovely. It was a great size, tasteful, and provided staff to assist us on the wedding day, all of whom were great to work with. Very reasonably priced, as well! Because my husband and I are currently not members of a church community, we still got the look and feel of a church, while being able to bring in our own officient and craft a ceremony that was personal to us. Even those who doubted this plan were impressed by the Church of the Hills!
    http://www.forestlawn.com/Special-Events-And-Facilities/Church-Of-The-Hills.asp

Reception venue: Ramsey's at the Club, The Toluca Lake Tennis Club. This was really the perfect reception venue, and I would recommend it to anyone planning a wedding of less than 100 people. We had a final guest list of 68 and we had enough room for everyone without being too crowded or looking too empty. The design of the space (dining area, patio and bar) is gorgeous, with lots of dark wood. My guests said the food was the best wedding food they had ever eaten. The service was spectacular. Jesse Genovese, the general manager and head chef, was wonderful to work with. Because he's basically in charge of the whole thing, he was able to sit down with me and work out the key items we wanted within our budget. I really appreciated that personalized attention. Jesse really wanted us to be happy and make it work for both of us, rather than handing me a sheet of pre-printed wedding packages. They also only do 1 event per day, which made set up easy and allowed them to focus their attention on only our wedding. I cannnot say enough good things about Ramsey's.
    http://ramseysattheclub.com/

I also have pictures if needed!

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • RoMy215RoMy215 member
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments
    edited December 2011
    I have to say that I really hate following msmerymac because I enjoy your thoughtful, informative and interesting posts and don't want to feel like I'm trying to compete! =)

My favorites were:

Photographer: Nathan Nowack / www.weddingsbynathan.com
    I did a lot of research online .. for everything. After seeing Nathan's work online, we decided to contact him for more information. He earned some huge bonus points when he responded to my e-mail on a Sunday night!! We decided to meet with him and when we left, we asked each other if it could really be so easy (to have found a photographer after one meeting). We e-mailed him immediately when we got home, although we didn't even have our venue secured or know the date. He was amazing!! His photos are fantastic, he's professional and genuinely nice.

Venue: The Victorian / www.thevictorian.com (Ceremony & Reception)
    I had passed by The Victorian a ton of times, and never really noticed it or knew what it was. But after seeing pictures of the old, historical home online, I had to go see it. I loved it from the minute I walked in, but their genuinely enthusiastic staff is what sold us. Mia and Ashia were like our long lost friends from the minute we walked in.
    Our wedding was beautiful and everything I'd hoped for. We got married in January so we wanted a venue with a really pretty ceremony area (not just a pretty "plan A" and a so-so "plan B".) We had our ceremony in the upstairs area and it was just beautiful...full of candles and the dramatic floral displays. The food was AMAZING. Everyone was satisfied and completely impressed (including a friend who has worked in hotels and has been disappointed previously with "wedding food"). We had so many compliments--including "I wish I could re-do my wedding because I would have it here".

Flowers: Accent On Design / www.accent-on-design.com
    Accent on Design was recommended to us by our venue. I spoke with Kanani over the phone and explained that we had a limited flower budget. We set up an in person meeting. She found out what we liked/wanted  and told us what she could do. She showed us pictures and told us how she could make our vision happen. She also made suggestions based on her knowledge of the venue. Our flowers were so stunning. And on top of everything else, we needed to get our own fire permit and Kanani's help became invaluable in providing us with the right sized candle holders to obtain that. 

Cake: Vanilla Bakeshop / www.vanillabakeshop.com 
    We used Vanilla Bakeshop for our cupcake tower and had a small cake for us to cut and to this day (6 months later) we are told how delicious they were as well as how creative and beautiful the display was. They were accommodating, helpful and friendly.

Dress Alterations: In Stitches / Reene
    I am a little hesitant to use online recommendations for anything, but decided that after seeing at least 10 enthusiastic, happy brides on TheKnot standing by Reene, I would try her. She was FANTASTIC!!! She was completely worth the 30+ mile drive!! It helped that she is about 5 minutes from one of my bridesmaids, but it wouldn't have mattered if she wasn't. Although I didn't have a great experience buying my dress because I am not a size 2 and they made me well aware of that, Reene was wonderful. She really made me feel like a beautiful bride. She was friendly and funny and was comforting to my emotional bridesmaid whose mother passed away 2 weeks before my first fitting.

I also have pictures if needed.
  • edited December 2011
    I wish I could contribute but so far it seems like everyone's out to make me go broke! I'm hoping I can find some great vendors to add to this list at some point.
  • edited December 2011

The rings: Sarah Leonard Jewelers in Westwood. Ask for Deb. She's accomodating and very friendly. Took the time to work with us after I had decided a diamond engagement ring really wasn't my style after all. We're unique and our rings reflect that. We were apprehensive about the whole process until we arrived at the store. No worries.

The dress: BCBG in Beverly Hills. I had a massive stroke of luck finding my dress. The sales ladies were most helpful, willing to do whatever was needed so I could see exactly how it would look (heels as opposed to just standing on the floor of the fitting room, etc.).

His suit: Brooks Brothers, Beverly Hills. Ask for Adolfo! He is very well informed and goes the extra mile to educate you on cut, fabric, fit, etc. Plus he's very friendly (and not fake sales-friendly, either).

Groom's shirt, Bride's shoes: Nordstrom.
    Groom's tie: Macy's.
    Groom's shoes: Clarks, Third Street Promenade.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • pnkprincess2pnkprincess2 member
    10 Comments
    edited December 2011
    Venue
    My sister got married at the Diamond Bar Center. It was really affordable and nice. Im getting married at the Ebell Club in Long Beach. Nice vintage style club house. My other sister got married at The Langdham. Really Really Nice!!

Flowers
    My sister used Flower Allie in Fullerton. They are AWESOME. I'm also using them. My other sister got her flowers from downtown LA. They were pretty but Sooooo much work. Not really worth it in my opinion. 

Day of Coordinator
    My sisters both used Kennedy Events in Long Beach. OMG they are amazing. They only do day of coordination for weddings and are super cheap. They charge $1,000 FLAT for Day of coordination if you pay in payments or $900 if you pay in full. They have a planning studio and a partnership with Kennedy Couture Linens which offer 20% discount on linens. 

Linens/Rentals 
    Kennedy Couture Linens. They are are rental company for Kennedy Events. They have linens, chair covers, chiavari chairs, charger, china EVERYTHING!!! You get I think 20% off EVERYTHING then you book Kennedy Events. 

DJ
    My sister used Atmosphere Entertainment. Very professional, large selection of music and very easy to work with. My sister also used them for lighting. Loved them and communication was top notch. 

Bakery
    Both Rossmore Pastries and Torrance Bakery are good. I like Rossmore of Torrance but both are very very good. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards