October 2012 Weddings
Options

Name Change

How was your last name change process? Or havent you done it yet?
weddingpic

Re: Name Change

• Options

We were married on 10.20, and went on our HM for a full week. When I got back from the HM, I went to SSN office then to DMV and then to bank. I got my new bank card by the weekend...and have started changing everything else FF Miles, other credit cards, etc.
    I finally got to use my new card this week and sign my new last name...SO CRAZY!!

weddingpic
  • Options
    I havent done it yet. The provincial office won't let you apply for your marriage certificate until 8 weeks after your wedding. So I will be doing it all over Christmas break hopefully.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Options
    anyone using missnowmrs.com? 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    Nah, I just went and did it myself. I feel it would be easier than worrying about some online thing to do so much legal stuff for me. Thats a lot of information. Plus, the money you have to spend for it isnt worth it.
    weddingpic
  • Options
    Married Saturday, October 6. We left the next morning to drive to SC for our HM, and came home late the night of October 14. I filed with the social security office and my bank Wed 10/17. I updated my license and filed our marriage license that day as well. If I recollected dates accurately, it has been two weeks! I still do not have my new social security card, I still do not have my new bank card. I need those to change my name a work. I would like to wrap it up, it does not feel honest to be split between names! Overall, the process is simple, it is the wait that frustrates me.
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • Options
    I haven't started the process yet.  My officiant said our marriage certificate would be available at the county clerk's office for us to pick up about 3 weeks after the wedding.  It was 3 weeks on Sunday, I just haven't got around to doing it.  To be honest, I'm not really in any rush.  I wanted to take a break from doing anything wedding related for a while.  I'll get to it eventually.  :)
    Married since October 14, 2012 - Best Day Ever! Wedding-2
  • Options
    I got things taken care of with Social Security last Friday.  I just need to figure out when I can get to the DMV and not miss too much more work.  On of my co-workers got married a month before and used one of the services, so she passes along the info, but I am not paying for one to do the work for me.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    We went last Tuesday, October 30.  I had FI come with me. We went to SS first (easy no line), then the DMV (easy no line) and they reminded me I had to change the name on my title too (don't forget that part ladies:)) then we went to our local bank and changed my name there, too.  I got my SS card early in the week, just waiting for my licence.   For all the other things that need a name change, I will do those as they come up - liking making a credit card payment or taking books out of the library and change my name on those then.

It was a really easy process.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We haven't done it yet.  We started the mortgage process back in September and were told I can not legally change it til after we close on our house because all the documents have my maiden name on it.  Tentative close date of Nov 27th so will be working on it shortly after that!
    Follow Me on Pinterest image

Weight Loss Journey Blog- Feel free to read if you like!updated 3/25/12 http://danaslapbandjourney.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    I don't get to change my name BOOOOO (except on FB lol)

In Quebec you keep your own last name...
  • Options
    I'm in the middle of the process.  I went to the social security office last week and applied for my new card.  I'm still waiting on the card to come in so that I can go to the DMV (have to have the new card first in my state) to change my drivers license.  Then I'll change all my credit cards and bank information. BTW, the bank is so much fun when you have checks written out to a new name you haven't formally changed yet - you get to sign both names.  That took a while, since many of our guests preferred gifting checks. 

My name got changed yesterday at work, so that was a bit confusing for people in the morning.  All they needed was my receipt from the social security office, so I started the process on Monday (my first day back).
  • Options
    When I got back from our honeymoon our marriage certificate had already arrived so I started right away.  I still have one more bank and a CC to do, but pretty much everything else is done.  It's really not that hard just a little time consuming.
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I've been holding out so that there was no confusion with two identities for the elections/voting.  Now that that's over, I can go ahead and get started.  Just went to the City Hall to get copies of the Marriage Certificate, so now I just have to pick a day to go to the Social Security office and then the DMV.
    -Amanda-
    Rhody Life

Our Favorite Pro Pic

Anniversary
  • Options
    Its interesting how the states differ. I think it is silly that I can't use the receipt from the Social Security office to update my work name. I didn't need it, only the marriage license, to change my driver's license! I actually updated my drivers license on my way to the courthouse, where I filed the marriage license!
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • Options
    I want to change my name but will be waiting a while. In NJ, you have to mail $ 2 weeks after (or go to pick up at local office) for your marriage certificate. Well, I got married in Spring Lake which still has no power since Sandy hit and the town offices are still closed. So, who knows when I can change my name!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

In Ontario it takes 10-12 weeks for your marriage certificate to be ready and the record of solemnization they give you on the day of doesn't count as a legal document. All that's been changed is my work e-mail info and things like magazine subscriptions, e-mail address, etc.

Anniversary
  • Options
    not planning on changing my name anytime soon.  I applied for grad school and assuming I get in, I don't plan on changing it until after I'm done (probably 2014). I like my maiden name a lot and  would probably keep it but I want my (future) children and I to all have the same last name.  No kids anytime soon so no rush. 

but thanks for all the info, ladies, and for reassuring me that it's an easy process!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I have a lot of time off at Christmas, and may try to deal with it then.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:8f718b9e-7466-4026-836d-14c941efdd4dPost:caa886e2-4532-4e9e-85ec-f85bd6766a76">Re: Name Change</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Ontario it takes 10-12 weeks for your marriage certificate to be ready and the record of solemnization they give you on the day of doesn't count as a legal document. All that's been changed is my work e-mail info and things like magazine subscriptions, e-mail address, etc.
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

so frustrated by this!!
  • Options
    It all went pretty smoothly for me! The only thing I have left to do is change it at the doctors next time I'm there and get it changed with student loans.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I have my new license, I applied for the social security card and should get it next week, I changed it at the bank and all my credit cards. I can't change it at work until I have my social security card, and I need to change my cable bill
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:8f718b9e-7466-4026-836d-14c941efdd4dPost:8fd39674-9eb3-4c59-8ffc-1e56f7202627">Re: Name Change</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't started the process yet.  My officiant said our marriage certificate would be available at the county clerk's office for us to pick up about 3 weeks after the wedding.  It was 3 weeks on Sunday, I just haven't got around to doing it.  To be honest, I'm not really in any rush. <em><u><strong> I wanted to take a break from doing anything wedding related for a while.  I'll get to it eventually.  :)
    </strong></u></em>Posted by pzavecz[/QUOTE]

This!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    All of my major stuff has been changed...we married 10/20 and 10/26 I went and had social security changed to start everything. I've had my bank account and license changed as well as everything at work. I paid my car off and am waiting on the title to change that over as well as my tag registration...other than that that's pretty much it...unless there's something I don't know of haha.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards