California-Orange County

St. Edward the Confessor Catholic Church Dana Point, CA

My fiancé and I would really like to get married at StEdward the Confessor Catholic Church in Dana Point, CA. Our reception site is literally across the street. We are not parishioners and were told we could not have the 3PM time slot even though it was open :( Does anyone know anyone that works there or anyone with contacts that might be able to make our dream ceremony come true? Any advice as well would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Re: St. Edward the Confessor Catholic Church Dana Point, CA

• branchellebranchelle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I work at that school but not as an employee for them, however i know a lot of the people there. They told you you couldnt have the ceremony there because you are not a parishioner?
  • edited December 2011
    Well they said we could have our ceremony there at 11AM even though the 3PM time slot was open :( We of course would rather have the 3PM time slot since our reception starts at 4PM. They said we could not have the 3PM time slot (even though it is open) because we are not parishioners. My fiancé and I are more than happy to become parishioners but did not know if they would let us since they know we want to get married there. We probably should have become parishioners first...
  • edited December 2011
    Would you mind asking them (when you work there) what advice they have for us on being able to get married at the 3PM time slot after they already turned us down? If you remember of course. Any help would be appreciated but I know you don't know me :) Thanks!
  • branchellebranchelle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What day are you planning on getting married? if its a friday the school there gets out at 3pm maybe that is a reason they wont give it to you either? Also how much does it cost to have the ceremony there do you know?
  • edited December 2011
    It costs $1,000 to have the ceremony there. Pretty pricey if you ask me but my FI's mom was willing to pay for it since she loves that church. We are getting married on a Saturday August 27, 2011. We ended up finding out that my mom's friend attends St. Edwards and that she went to school with the priest. She went in to check on the date and time for us and apparently it has been booked since July! :( I guess it wasn't meant to be....thanks anyways though. 
  • kgendron8kgendron8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is so funny. My wedding date is also August 27, 2011 and we tried getting married there at 3 PM also, but they only had 11 AM or Fridays available. I think they get booked EXTREMELY quickly but it's such a nice church. I was so sad, that church is amazing.
  • edited December 2011
    Aww ya we were so sad too! Good luck to you!
  • RackiexoRackiexo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i went to school there, my family has been parishioners there since as long as I can remember, and my family has donated so much money to them its ridiculous... but since I was already married legally (I was prego but we chose to wait til 11/11/11 in the first place, but when my grandma fell ill we decided to get married right away in july of 2010) met with Fr. Tran in October of 2010 and he told us we owulld have to get "validated" (just blessed and married by the church) and we could not have any sort of traditional wedding ceremony to our wedding- it would be looked down on. AND we would be sinning every day we spent married legally but not by the church (that makes sense but the way he said it was so.. ugh)
     I have never heard of not being able to have the catholic wedding ceremony just because of a legal marriage and honestly, my parents eloped first and then got married at St. Catherines in Laugna Beach- super traditional wedding..
    like I said, we have donated so much money to them I think we have a wall or something in the school, and a plaque in the church and my mom is an active part of the school- she spends like countless hours volunteering there.. but that didn't matter- I myself was not registered and made to feel like I could never have the wedding I wanted..

We ended up goign to St. Timothys with no problem whatsoever! I wish iit could've been st. edwards but I am happy that we are working with suhc an awesome priest and will have the catholic traditional wedding we wanted.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards